Like jets on westward flight paths, chase the day;
recall, when Greenland is in darkness, soon
it will be pitch here, too; forget the moon,
give in, and listen to the next track play:

When stars shine bright they make me lonely
I'll never have a still life dream
My Starry Night, dissolving slowly,
Disintegrates into The Scream

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Hi Tony,

Like the 'distance', the standing outside oneself, present in the title. The rational 'advice' to the emotional 'driver'. And what is that advice? A pursuit of light - like the dynamic of that opening simile. And then the grounding of the inevitable - dark will follow light. The advice continues...resignation rather than imagination, the light of the 'moon', and distraction in sleepless hours. Ironically the lyric only offers its own chilling embrace.

best

Phil

On 10/16/2019 at 3:56 AM, badger11 said:

Hi Tony,

Like the 'distance', the standing outside oneself, present in the title. The rational 'advice' to the emotional 'driver'. And what is that advice? A pursuit of light - like the dynamic of that opening simile. And then the grounding of the inevitable - dark will follow light. The advice continues...resignation rather than imagination, the light of the 'moon', and distraction in sleepless hours. Ironically the lyric only offers its own chilling embrace.

best

Phil

Thanks, Phil. I like your breakdown/analysis of this poem. That's how it comes across for me, too. I was surprised and pleased, myself, when I saw how this one had progressed.

The first line misleads by giving the poem a positive vibe which quickly plummets in the second and third lines. Ultimately, the song lyrics are of no help; the poem comes full circle to no escaping from the human condition, and the speaker-advisor/listener is not alone in how he feels (as is evident from the song lyrics).

With appreciation,

Tony

Notes:

Starry Night

The Scream

greenland.jpg

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Tony,  This poem is a soulful, lonely song that vibrates in my chest as I read it. You capture a real life moment that so many of us have felt and couldn't articulate.  I love that you are sharing more of your own work.  This is a moving piece that needs no explaination, I just felt it.  Great writing.

~~Judi 

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

8 hours ago, Tinker said:

Tony,  This poem is a soulful, lonely song that vibrates in my chest as I read it. You capture a real life moment that so many of us have felt and couldn't articulate.  I love that you are sharing more of your own work.  This is a moving piece that needs no explaination, I just felt it.  Great writing.

~~Judi 

Thank you, Judi. I'd like to write some more poems like this one. I'll try. I'm pleased you like it.

Tony :happy:

Emotional and lyrical 180 degree turn. Surprise! Nicely crafted.

• 1 month later...

This is tight and powerful, lyrical yet modern. Do the lyrics you quoted belong to a real song? They're quite a scream!

On 11/28/2019 at 12:32 AM, A. Baez said:

This is tight and powerful, lyrical yet modern. Do the lyrics you quoted belong to a real song? They're quite a scream!

Thank you, A. Baez. They are not from any real song -- at least that I'm aware.

Tony :happy: