Jump to content
Poetry Magnum Opus
tonyv

The Coast

Recommended Posts

tonyv

From rubdowns at The Orchid to the coast --
it's time to drive this dirty week away.
Let Steffi check our coats where Vin's our host
on Greek night at the waterside cafe.
With moonroof open and for each some blow,
we got our buzz on start the car let's go.


Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tonyv

Okay poetry lovers and experts. You tell me why this poem is any worse than Robert Frost's beloved poem "The Pasture."


Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tonyv

Judi, you posted the Frost poem, for comparison I presume, but then hid the post. :huh:But anyway, I don't expect that anyone will take this poem seriously. I think I'll park this topic in the Playground. :biggrin:


Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tinker

I did hide it and lost it.  And yes I wanted to do a comparison but never got to it.  i’m traveling north today, We’ve been on the road 5 hours because of the conditions and have only completed 1/3 of the trip.  Snow on the Grapevine, 2 accidents, 5 mile an hour sections, now in super windy rain and lots of tail lights.  Trinity is driving.  

Any way both poems are iambic pentameter and rhymed, Coast is a hexastich with rhyme ababcc. Pasture 2 quatrains,, rhyme xaaB xccB written with refrain.. The rhythm of both has a easy flow.  Coast is a slice of life, very human.  Pasture is a natural setting.still human.  

OMG, we are crawling. I’ll come back i think there is another accident,

~~Judi


~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
A. Baez
Quote

Okay poetry lovers and experts. You tell me why this poem is any worse than Robert Frost's beloved poem "The Pasture."

Leaving aside "better" and "worse," the big differences I see are that Frost's poem feels much more universal, lyrical, and innocent. I leave Frost's poem feeling enchanted and uplifted; I leave yours feeling like retching. And of course, your poem is two lines shorter. In yours, there's no refrain, which is one element that makes Frost's poem lyrical. Technically, both are, arguably, equally matched, though I was wondering why you didn't put quotes around "start the car let's go."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tonyv

Judi and A. Baez, thank you for taking a look at this. You've both brought up technical points I had hoped would come up. While my form was never meant to be a copy of Frost's, I would suggest that the two are very similar. Both are short. Each has a title of equal relevance to its poem, and each uses/mentions/repeats the title within the body of its respective poem. Yes, Frost's poem technically has two more lines, but I would posit that since one is a refrain, it actually has only one additional line of substance. Both poems are invitiations.

1 hour ago, A. Baez said:

I leave yours feeling like retching.

That's an unexpected reaction ... at least at the beginning of the night out! 😲 I wanted the poem to appeal in a TGIF/welcome-to-the-weekend, fresh from the massage parlor/barbershop/salon let's hit the club it's time to party kind of way. I dunno A. Baez, maybe we both need to get on the Acela and meet somewhere in the middle -- the Jersey shore perhaps? -- for some good times. 🥂

In any case, thank you both for playing, for participating in my fun little Playground topic.

Tony :-8)


Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
A. Baez
Quote

That's an unexpected reaction ... at least at the beginning of the night out!

The commonalities between the poems illustrate how similar two things can be in technicalities and still be fundamentally leagues apart. As for my retching, it was the final "blow" that really blew it for me, although "rubdowns at the Orchid" distinctly evoked sex massage parlors to me. Beyond that, I've always strived to love my whole life enough that I just don't feel a need to drive away any "dirt" at week's end. I'm a self-employed gardener; I love my work and its wholesome dirt 😊, so the kind of escapism you evoke feels dark, desperate, decadent, hollow, and depraved to me. Now, I might well feel differently if my livelihood involved something like reading statutes, legal briefs, and court orders. 😉 I do remember the days of oppressive-feeling work and how busting loose (in my own, more restrained way) in my free time felt like liberation.

Quote

I dunno A. Baez, maybe we both need to get on the Acela and meet somewhere in the middle -- the Jersey shore perhaps? -- for some good times. 🥂

Well, my idea of a good time is more along the lines of having a long conversation over a cup of tea or strolling through woods and gardens. Perhaps a figurative meeting in the middle would be simply eating at a nice, unpretentious restaurant. I'm open to negotiation. 🍵

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dr_con

When I first read this (Before the move) I laughed out loud with sheer delight -- Not certain why one should not take this seriously -- Its a light hearted piece that captures something quite real (without the implications of egregious wealth) I thought to myself Ah yes I remember that! With Title being an unexplored country filled with wired beauty and mystery and god knows what else. Both The Coast and The Pasture evoke a sense of place, but unlike Frost, you don't resort to the cheap (Well that's unfair, if its cheap I embrace it fully) 'Why don't you come along' which works for those in a mood for childhood, but not for those who want to embrace a more adult childhood unlike your poem which (To me) invokes my young adult /childhood without resorting to invitation;-)

 

Juris


Join the Voodoo rEvolution. Classes forming now: http://www.integralvoodoo.org/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tinker
11 hours ago, A. Baez said:

as for my retching, it was the final "blow" that really blew it for me, although "rubdowns at the Orchid" distinctly evoked sex massage parlors to me. Beyond that, I've always strived to love my whole life enough that I just don't feel a need to drive away any "dirt" at week's end.

I have to admit Tony, I had a similar reaction to exactly the some images as A.B., maybe not retching but cringing a little and didn't want to address that.  I was trying to be objective so I went directly to the technical elements of the poem.  Actually though the content felt uncomfortable it was communicated well and was actually more interesting than most more comfortable and generic encounters.  It is a poem, and they aren't always feel good.  They are meant to take us to new places. 

~~Tink  


~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tonyv

Hi again A. Baez,

On 12/2/2019 at 1:15 AM, A. Baez said:

... so the kind of escapism you evoke feels dark, desperate, decadent, hollow, and depraved to me ...

Feels normal to me. :blush:

On 12/2/2019 at 1:15 AM, A. Baez said:

Now, I might well feel differently if my livelihood involved something like reading statutes, legal briefs, and court orders.

Thankfully, that has been only a hobby for me. 

As always, I appreciate the interaction,

Tony 


Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tonyv

Juris, I appreciate your stoppping by.

20 hours ago, dr_con said:

When I first read this (Before the move) I laughed out loud with sheer delight -- Not certain why one should not take this seriously -- Its a light hearted piece that captures something quite real (without the implications of egregious wealth) I thought to myself Ah yes I remember that! With Title being an unexplored country filled with wired beauty and mystery and god knows what else. Both The Coast and The Pasture evoke a sense of place, but unlike Frost, you don't resort to the cheap (Well that's unfair, if its cheap I embrace it fully) 'Why don't you come along' which works for those in a mood for childhood, but not for those who want to embrace a more adult childhood unlike your poem which (To me) invokes my young adult /childhood without resorting to invitation;-)

 

Juris

Those were (are?) good times. The thing is, it's possible some of us haven't outgrown it. :blush:

Tony 😄


Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tonyv
14 hours ago, Tinker said:

I have to admit Tony, I had a similar reaction to exactly the some images as A.B., maybe not retching but cringing a little and didn't want to address that.  I was trying to be objective so I went directly to the technical elements of the poem.  Actually though the content felt uncomfortable it was communicated well and was actually more interesting than most more comfortable and generic encounters.  It is a poem, and they aren't always feel good.  They are meant to take us to new places. 

~~Tink  

Judi, I thought so much, but there is always that enjoyable awkwardness when someone keeps nagging, "But what about the narrative, the content?!?" :rolleyes:Thank you for being a good sport about it.

Tony 😀


Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tinker

 

1 minute ago, tonyv said:

Thank you for being a good sport about it.

Haha, I thought about it and at first thought, it was my "feminine" reaction to the poem.  Then I thought, no it was my "old lady, grandma" reaction.

~~Judi


~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tonyv

LOL Judi, it was just your reaction to the uniquely male perspective. 😉 :laugh:


Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
A. Baez
Quote
On 12/2/2019 at 1:15 AM, A. Baez said:

... so the kind of escapism you evoke feels dark, desperate, decadent, hollow, and depraved to me ...

Feels normal to me.

I have to admit, it's pretty shocking to me that someone as serious about the art and craft of poetry as you are, could have, and be able to sustain, this side, as well. Just wow. 

Quote
On 12/2/2019 at 1:15 AM, A. Baez said:

Now, I might well feel differently if my livelihood involved something like reading statutes, legal briefs, and court orders.

Thankfully, that has been only a hobby for me. 

A hobby?? Wow! As if poetry weren't toilsome enough. 😉

Oh by the way, I just recognized today the double entendre in your words "the coast." The poem really does describe a state of coasting! I'm not sure if you intended this, but it's nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.