roads and lanes and corners that i know so well

places where i shall soon stand again

faced with a new destiny

and yet how far could i wander from my origin

how could i possibly escape it

when it is around me everywhere i go

everywhere i am?

To receive love, you have to give it...

Seems like you are in an exciting time, Douglas. I like how you balance your positive outlook for the future (which is also somehow your past) with that other part to which you feel connected.

I had to look up the IBIS, and I remembered seeing these birds in Florida. Looks like they are tropical -- probably not native to London.

I enjoyed this personal glimpse. Thank you for providing it.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

douglas,

don't you forget where you come from, I think many immigrants are very familiar with these words. And as you said you can never escape your root. Beautifully versed poem that I can resonate with.

Lake

thank you tony and lake for your impressions and words! i am about to leave sydney for london and have been preparing myself mentally and spiritually for the the next adventure - as you may know i left cape town in south africa in november - so i am becoming somewhat like a gypsy. the movement and the journey is causing my world to open and bloom and i am experiencing, to some degree, the universality of being, the beauty inherent in each place. that song by sir paul macartney with the lyrics: "we all know, people are the same where ever you are. there is good and bad, in all of us..." comes to mind.

bless you both.

doug icon_smile.gif

Aleksandra

Ah my dear Douglas. This is wonderful expressed poem. I love the sense and the idea of this poem. Nice that you are preparing for moving in London, but I think you are prepared anyway :).

The nostalgic feeling will be always around you, and yes it is important to not forget where are you from. But I can say also, I love the cosmopolitan state of mind. I love to say we are citizens of the world. But yes we are coming from one place. I am proud from where I am from, and everybody should be, in the moments when the world doesn't accept the cosmopolitan view, and we can't be citizens of the world icon_rolleyes.gif .

I am glad for you, and I like your spirit of a traveler.

Nice personal poem Doug.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

my dear alex, thank you for your very nice words and thoughts! it is so good to hear from you - and yes, i am getting prepared for london town! icon_wink.gif

Hi douglas,

Where we come from must make a huge part of who we are. I wonder if it's possible to travel far enough to loose sight of that. Your poem describes that perfectly. Very nice.

--tilsover