Poetry Magnum Opus
Sign in to follow this  
Tinker

Blogging with haiku

Tinker

Prompt March 22:

Hey Jude,

I'll make this short, don't wait until tomorrow, believe in yourself now.

Love you,

~~Judi
B #24
doubt wastes
precious moments
believe in yourself
                   ~~jvg

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Tinker

Prompt March 23:

I can't think of anything more inviting to me on a dreary rainy afternoon than sitting near my hearth with an open fire, a throw across my legs, a hot cup of tea next to me and a really good book in hand. A cliché portrait but it is cliché for a reason. It is simply the best-case scenario. I like the sound of rain and a crackling fire, they seem to complement each other.

I have to admit that the current situation of "shelter at home" could make that whole idea feel confining after a while. There have been a few raining afternoons but luckily this edict is occurring in Spring when there will also be sunny warm days that will allow us to also go outside, take a walk and somewhat escape this imposed isolation.

B#25

wood on the fire
rain pelting the windowpane
sing a winter song
                   ~~jvg

Tinker

Prompt March 24:

Start your blog with these words: “Five years from now...”

Five years from now I hope to be alive and well.

B#26

time races toward
an unpredictable but
inevitable end
                   ~~jvg

Tinker
PROMPT March 25th

Ideas for War Chest Prompts

1. I know you will have a few but, choose one of your all-time favorite poets or writers and tell us how their writing has influenced yours.

2. Take a walk today and share in a blog what you experienced.

3. Yesterday my grandkids watched as 5 kittens came into this world. Share an experience of new life that you have experienced in some way.

*PenG**PenB**PenP**PenY**PenR**PenV*

"Gross!" was my 16 year old granddaughter's response. The littlest one kept saying "she's crying" and his Mom's reply "Yes Camden, having a baby friggin hurts." The excitement just went on and on as one kitten after another just "shot out of the mother" according to the oldest of the 4 kids watching. I had the privilege of listening on the phone during the birth of 5 kittens while my grandkids were present for the moment. Then photos came over my text showing me a shot of a furry cat with 5 little newbies snuggled in. I could barely discern where mother ended and kitten started, the photo was just a blur of fur, but the moment was shared.

Because of the "shelter at home" mandate, all 4 of my grandchildren are sequestered at home instead of attending school. Consequently, timing couldn't have been more perfect. When the stray cat they adopted, not knowing she was pregnant, decided it was time to give birth, all of my grandchildren got to watch. My 10-year old grandson didn't stick around long, and only watched one born, he couldn't take the crying. But all 3 girls stayed their distance and saw birth first hand. My daughter-in-law's comment to me was, this cat was a pro. She popped them out, cleaned them up and tolerated the audience.

Birth is a miracle of life, an overwhelming moment of joy, pain, and gratitude.

B# 27

brand new black kitten

snuggles into the warmth of
exhausted mother
         ~~jvg

Tinker
PROMPT March 26th

I hate politics. A threat is facing all nations and the people of this earth need to be told the facts as they are learned so that we can protect ourselves and our neighbors. I think people spend too much time blaming others when they could be taking responsibility to do what they can do to make the situation better.

There is so much hype and misinformation out there and depending on which camp, you are in, more time is spent blaming the other side than taking action to each do our part to help our neighbor. Turning on the news these days is hazardous to one's health. We need facts, not slanted or tainted by political interests or for sensationalism.

I am not saying this very well. I am so tired of both sides of the political spectrum using the lives of the people as their pawns. I don't care who or why, I don't care about the actions of days or weeks ago, I only care about now and moving forward to a solution. Hmmm, this must be the isolation talking.

Stay safe out there.

B# 28

blame and shame

have no place in positive
forward action
                   ~~jvg

Tinker

PROMPT March 27th ▼
Someone shared the poem “The Trough” by Judy Brown with me today and I want to pass it on to you. I found it incredibly comforting during this time of global crisis. In your entry today, write about how the poem makes you feel, or write a poem of your own.
The Trough by Judy Brown 

There is a trough in waves,
a low spot where horizon
disappears and only sky
and water are our company.
And there we lose our way
unless we rest,
knowing the wave
will bring us to its crest again.
There we may drown
if we let fear hold us
in its grip and shake us
side to side,
and leave us flailing,
torn, disoriented.
But if we rest there
in the trough, in silence,
being in the low part
of the wave, keeping our energy
and noticing the shape
of things, the flow,
then time alone will bring us
to another place
where we can see horizon,
see land again,
regain our sense of where we are,
and where we need to swim.

Yes, in this era of social distancing, it sometimes feels like I'm in a trough unable to look forward or backward. Held in the calm, but anticipating the rush, the what-if, how long, how far? I work at gathering energy to spring forward when the crescendo arrives. In the meantime I battle the malaise in the trough.

This is a beautifully written poem that captures the disorientation, the isolation that many of us are experiencing.

B# 29

one with the sea

the energy is beneath
and around me
                   jvg

Tinker

You'd think these days of "shelter in place" would result in my house being super clean with all of the time on my hands to get things done. NOT!

I have regular cleaning routines and I am relatively clutter-free. But as the days of isolation drone on, I find myself in a kind of malaise with no need to rush to get anything done, or why does it have to get done? Yet still I make my "Today I will" list each morning. In my normal routine, I've never sweated getting everything done as long as something got done and I would celebrate the somethings. But getting "something done" is just ho-hum these days with no celebrations.

Several years ago I discovered online, "15 Minute Daily Decluttering Mission at Home Storage Solutions 101." Following it was amazing, I got rid of so much stuff, I became more organized and I created a cleaning and decluttering routine that has worked for me ever since. (You should know, for years I had a cleaning lady. So my home has always been relatively clean. But when I reduced my hours at the office I felt I had no excuse not to do my own cleaning and this program helped me get on track and sustain it. I also learned that cleaning ladies don't declutter, nor do they deep clean, they just keep the surface looking clean.) Anyway, that experience led me to Marie Kondo and then to "Year to Clear". YTC deals with emotions and getting rid of the clutter inside that prevents us from getting rid of the clutter in our home. I'm glad I discovered YTC last because I think I had long since dealt with the psychological stuff, I often thought it was bit of fluff. But, this program, like Marie Kondo enhanced what I had accomplished initially. It had catchy phrases like "move one paper clip at a time" (that flips through my head all of the time). It also provided great quotes like:

"Small, easily achievable goals - such as picking up and storing just one paper clip on a chronically messy desk - let you tiptoe right past the amygdala, keeping it asleep and unable to set off alarm bells. As your small steps continue and your cortex starts working, the brain begins to create "software" for your desired change, actually laying down new nerve pathways and building new habits."-Dr. Robert Maurer, One Small Step Can Change Your Life

"Still, what I want in my life is to be willing to be dazzled - to cast aside the weight of facts and maybe even to float a little above this difficult world. I want to believe I am looking into the white fire of a great mystery. I want to believe that the imperfections are nothing - that the light is everything - that it is more than the sum of each flawed blossom rising and fading. And I do."                                         -Mary Oliver, House of Light

and "The only thing that is real - and really juicy - is happening right this second." ~~Stephanie Vogt Year to Clear

So in my malaise, I have turned back to Year to Clear and I'm rereading my journal of 5 years ago, picking through my notes. Today the message was "Take one minute, look around you and put away one thing that appears out of place or belongs elsewhere." My one minute lasted 15 minutes which led to my messy desk being straightened and free of stuff that never belonged there, a sweater put away in the bedroom closet, my bed made, and the dishwasher emptied. Such small insignificant actions that in such a short time made my environment more comfortable. It got my morning started in a productive manner and I now feel unburdened by the mundane to move forward with my day. The malaise seems distant, I know it will be back but in the meantime, I will stay positive and celebrate moving that one paperclip.

B# 30

one small paperclip

picked up and put away,
cause to celebrate
                   ~~jvg

Tinker

Haha, of course I blog like I talk! How else can I communicate other than by being me? If my blogs didn't read as I spoke, they would be worthless. What would be the point?

I share my observations, my sunny personality (well sometimes), my dark side (hopefully not too often), and my perspective of the things life throws at me. I am always striving to learn more, be more and hopefully that translates through my writing.

B# 31

me in words

my tears, my laughter, my screams
and through it all, joy
                   ~~jvg

Tinker

We've come to the end, and I won't lie, blogging daily for 30 days this time around was hard and some days reading other's blogs was even harder. I think the events of the month weighed heavily on all of us and I for one was distracted. My mind went blank when faced with some of the prompts, not because of the prompts themselves but because of the malaise that had engulfed me.

My favorite prompt was "Re: PROMPT March 28th"  nw.gif because writing a response contributed to pulling me out of my funk.

The best part of the month-long experience was sharing it with the participants in the challenge. The personalities and generosity of the other bloggers here were a super bonus and I plan on going back to read those blogs I missed earlier because each post held some inspiration, a sharing of self. Though I am relieved this month's commitment is at an end, I will miss it. Thank you all for being a part of this journey.

B# 32

time spent

tapping into others
is time rewarded
                   ~~jvg

Tinker

I turn 79 years old today. Just another day, no celebration, no surprise party, no presents, no cake. I am still trying to lose weight after all and this last month has been particularly difficult in that regard. I've gained 4 lbs without the cake. In the scheme of things, I have lived a long life and since I am in relatively good health, I have expectations of living even longer. I've always looked to tomorrow as a new opportunity, another challenge.

In the midst of a world pandemic, with death numbers rising each day, I will not take tomorrow for granted ever again. The new opportunity, the new challenge is now and I must make the most of it now. Today I celebrate each moment from the walk in my garden, the stroke of my Molly's fur, the celery I crunch instead of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and the Facetime call I just received with my grandkids lined up behind a homemade sign saying

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANDMA

B#33

the smile on my face
is reflected from my heart
out to you
                   ~~jvg