No Big Love1
#tonyv 4/6 2020

Wé are what we have, our love's no bíg love;
we dón't want conversation,
wé want passports, shady cohorts,
jets in private airports,
redlights, greenlights, strychnine, a TEC-9:
whén we want to be alive, we're alive!

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Tony,   The accents didn't have to be explained, they were recognized and appreciated by this reader.  What a brilliant idea. 

On 4/6/2020 at 5:12 PM, tonyv said:

whén we want to be alive, we're alive!

Daily writing looks good on you.   I'm going to make this my mantra = a much needed, perfectly timed reminder.  

~~Judi

• Like 1

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Fun--I've never seen anyone apply accents in a poem like that except for Hopkins! Hybridizing this with raplike flights of stream-of-consciousness semi-nonsense fantasy is surprisingly effective, as the two share similar unconventional accenting!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A. Baez said:

Fun--I've never seen anyone apply accents in a poem like that except for Hopkins! Hybridizing this with raplike flights of stream-of-consciousness semi-nonsense fantasy is surprisingly effective, as the two share similar unconventional accenting!

The accents are actually necessary because of how fast I had to come up with the poem and how little time I had to revise. Had I had more time, it would have been in iambics, and the typographical accents would not have been necessary. Maybe eventually I'll re-work this so the accents won't be needed. 

And thank you... But wait, this isn't semi-nonsense, it's real like most rap is!:laugh:

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

The accents are actually necessary because of how fast I had to come up with the poem and how little time I had to revise.

Ha, that's a cheap trick, but I think it worked out in your favor here. How often rap uses sprung rhythm! I had never before thought of it that way, but it's true. I'd recommend against revising this into IP--it isn't the only legitimate meter and it can be a straightjacket, applied wrongly.

"Real"! 😀

• Like 1