to get things done precise and skilled.
I earned my way, my talents honed,
I'm good at what I do and build.

There can be flaws in passion's jaws 
and focus narrows vision's tracks.
Forgetting that there can be flaws, 
in my zeal, I've stepped on some backs.

I never aim to hurt another,
I'm shamed, when I've bruised my brother.
                              ~~Judi Van Gorder

Verse Form: Slide Sonnet

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

A sincere apology??? I prefer to issue half-assed politician/celebrity-style apologies. Rather than say, "I'm sorry I hurt you," I'll go with, "I regret that this happened. Some poor decisions were made." 🤣

But Judi, somehow I doubt you stepped all over people while climbing the corporate ladder to success. Nice sonnet!

Tony 🙂

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Haha, Tony I never mean to do it but it goes with territory.  As a kid I'd create this great plan and pull it off and then wonder why someone had a gripe because I would be so focused I'd forget to give someone much more sensitive than I, their due or just bypassed them or brushed them aside when they weren't cutting it. I just didn't understand why they weren't grateful.  You'd think by my age I would have learned to pay better attention to those around me and tune into their feelings but, every once in a while I find I've barreled through and someone resented my actions.   I've worked at taking control of that all of my life and still I unintentionally step on fingers or toes on occasion.

I think this articulates the pitfalls that almost any ambitious person faces--at least you are aware of them! Despite the downsides described, I'd hire you for the upsides!

Funny, I didn't even notice the "slid" phrases until I followed your link to Slide Sonnet. This seems like a fairly challenging form.

Haha,  AB, I've not really thought of myself as ambitious but when it comes to my passions, I become laser focused.  It is usually women or less than confident men that I offend.  I figured you would get it because I've seen a glimpse of that same focused passion in you. 

The form was challenging at first but once you find a system, it is fun.

~~Judi 

• Like 1

I do get it very well, but actually from both angles; many times, especially in my younger years, I have also been that meek person who was barrelled over by someone else! I guess it just depends where the strongest passions lie.

You're definitely adept at adapting yourself to forms...it seems to me this is one way you humbly submit your passion to external discipline!

• Like 1