Poetry Magnum Opus

Fulfilled

Tinker

Fulfilled

Fill your lungs with the morning's perfume.
vitalized by each breath you consume.
Choose to forge forward into the day,
prepared to deal with whatever may.
Expect to find joy in the oddest places,
even when presented with frowning faces.
This earth of ours is always giving,
so indulge yourself in the art of living.
                             ~~Judi Van Gorder

"Life itself is the proper binge." - Julia Child

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Tinker, I like your short poem, it said it all. The lengthy statement I offer as to why.

To many of us look for only... "What' in it for me!", not realizing "What's in it for me" is right before their eyes and don't recognize it. I can give you one example  from watching small brown ants at work. Yes I watched them for probably 45 minutes. 

One by one these small creatures brought forth from the depth of ground, one grain of sand and placed it a distance away from their tunnel opening. Turning  around they would disappear below to return again and again with another grain of sand. Now I can't say I knew the same ant, was coming back with another grain, but the stream of workers was continuous. They were certain of what they were doing, and for what reason.

After watching for a spell, I pushed ever so lightly a few grains of sand back into the hole. Immediately, more ants showed and in greater numbers, as they cleared away the damage I created. When I thought they had pretty much cleared the opening, I did it one more time. Again they worked feverishly to clear away the new batch of sand.

Now as tiny as they are, they must have a brain to know they would have to clean it out again. I didn’t see any one them go off to the side somewhere and seemingly indicate “To Hell with it, I’m done. Only a damn fool would continue to bust his butt cleaning up the damage, as long as that big idiot is going to mess it up again.” To put a human in the same situation, repetitively, how many do you think would have the fortitude to continue repairing again and again? 

From my point of view, there was a lesson there to be learned. As your poem stated... I witnessed "forge forward into the day," (as the ants were so capable of doing,) "prepare to deal with whatever may." 

Expect to find joy in the oddest places, I experienced joy of learning from them, (there is no task... if it necessary to be performed, that one can’t accomplish.) More of us should indulge in the art of living. 
BoB

• Like 1

I enjoyed the verse because I recognized the wisdom of your choices in rhythm, or cadence, and in rhyme. 
I like the marching cadence in L3 and L6 and the alliteration of "forge forward" and "frowning faces".

• Like 1

"Words are not things, and yet they are not non-things either." - Ann Lauterbach

• 8 months later...
Gunslinger

Excellent! An uplifting ideal to ascribe to.