Poetry Magnum Opus
rumisong

Sentences that make no sense!

rumisong

there is an exercise that I like to do- sometimes I come to it once a day, and sometimes once a week- but I would love to do it more often...

it is not really a poetry exercise, but it definitely uses the poetry muscles- and so, Im hoping to get the regular posters here in on it with me...

ok, the exercise is simply this:

write a sentence that purposely makes no sense!

doesn't have to have anything fancy- there are no rules- long or short- make up words! or dont, use only words that we know, it doesnt matter (I LOVE to make up words in this exercise!)

use verbs or not- nouns or not- do as you like, just make it not make sense icon_smile.gif

I just did one:

setting up the scam stove, I realized that the volume dial had wrenched its colors off of the bloom- thereby flanking the impending bell, and setting the whole engine into fits of spurious contention. This coming after words and bleepings heard in the surrounding shops had already set sail!

for me, this is a real "get those juices flowing" sort of exercise, that is so easy to do, because of the absolute carelessness and non-judgmental easiness that I can bring to it... just flow flow flow - and actually TRY to have it not make sense... some sense will accidentally slip in there- but who cares? the next line will destroy that with no effort...

will you all give it a go with me?

heres the first one I did, about three months ago, and with two words in it that I dont think are words! and Ive been hooked since...

I told the last time in the air for pagan rituals to comthunder hay has to fling skreigh at the sweetheart

and some others:    this was what they were sounding like on Dec 23rd...

affix the wave to the crux of the matrix, and suffer along the eastern beings from the western bearings- this after all, is the way for the sloven and prudish to break their frozen pall, and cling to board and seraphin- never having to forfeit ownership of their sand nor hay, lambaste climbings have better looms to fleece.
--------------------
elvish wordlings have slipped from crested eventualities, only to find the places where blackened dashes and powdered commas were dangled by the participants in front of cheesed doodlers, having lost their mean spirited frosting- now finely sprinkled with dissented bow and oily hove

and some of them have come to sound like poetry, or something else entirely... Ill post them elsewhere...

PLAYGROUND stuff!

play play play.... lets play!

Aleksandra

Rumisong you made me smile here icon_smile.gif.

Nice try and clever game.

I think that for me is hard to do this. Not because all what I say makes a good sense in English, but simply because I think that everything have has some sense. Even the most senseless writings / words / expressions...

Why is that? Maybe because always I look for some sense, and maybe there isn't really a sense, but my mind look for a sense in the same, and is making the sense. icon_smile.gif.

Interesting exercise, but do you have some special point for this? icon_smile.gif or it is only an exercise?

I will try maybe, but really I think is so hard to make sentences what doesn't make any sense. Maybe our mind is used always to look a sense when we write something... But I would be looking forward here, and watch how is going in this " no sense topic " icon_biggrin.png

Interesting and creative icon_smile.gif

Thank you

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

rumisong

aww... do give it a try! please?!

even just add in some Macedonian words with English words... and you can maybe make up a Macedonian word that you thing sounds like it might be an English word... that would be so fun to see! and mix them up together into something - its like baking a dessert, without a recipe- just go to the 'fridge, and pick out some stuff, and throw it in a bowl (or not) and mix it up (or not) and bake it a 350 degreesF (or at 275?) for 40 minutes (or 20 minutes?) and just lets all taste what comes out!

yeah!

you ask if there is purpose other than exercise - and, no, I dont think so... but it does help me to break out of a 'slump'... in fact it helps me to put down the mouse (stop clicking on links) and take up the keyboard, and actually write something (ANYTHING)- and that seems like a good thing in itself!!!

give it a try- you will teach us some non-sense! and that is a GREAT thing to learn from each other... icon_biggrin.png

tonyv

Okay, here's my first one:

The bricks in my head grew mold till my teeth fell out. icon_biggrin.png

I have to read and think about this some more, and, even for exercises I need time. But, Rumisong, you are right -- one must write. Nothing happens unless one acts, and this is making me act; it's making me want to write. Thank you for this. I will definitely come back to this topic and your other fascinating afs array topic in prose.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

rumisong

YAY Tony!

I LOVE it! thanks...

see... this stuff inspires me... I mean, I can read it in a book or at wikipedia or in a blog somewhere- some random makes-no-sense webpage... but when its here, amongst friends, and its something we're doing together, and I 'know' something about the people who Im doing it with- THAT is utterly inspiring to me... thanks Tony-

more more!

tonyv

Pop! like a candy cannon!icon_biggrin.png

My friend wrote a computer program that does this, and he showed me something the computer "created." It was actually pretty good, but making the stuff myself is more fun than just reading what the computer "wrote."

I have to be careful ... I could start spending all day ... or days ... here on just this topic! icon_surprised.gif

Tony icon_biggrin.png

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

rumisong

I have to be careful ... I could start spending all day ... or days ... here on just this topic!

GOOD! I say, carnival plots cannot be staid in many other valances than can be bribed here in these coffined taverns!

dont you think?

tonyv

I was a neon snowplow. Then the diesel turned to corn. icon_razz.gif

I love this! icon_cool.gif

... I really must stop. icon_smile.gif

rumisong

Growers in the far reachings of librarian dreams have yet to see the determinations in which these clawfoot certainties can bring down a drooping swallow.

Aleksandra

The wax of the universe, eats the crazy cows, and then goes to the road to serve a lunch where the mothers giggle when the husband wears a short skirt and acts like a waitress. After that the soup was baked in the mud, and the rocks were set by the wasted food in the toilet, and then realized how blue is the mountain under the spoon. And he start to cry and cry... ah how funny crying beast.

icon_silent.pngicon_rolleyes.gif

History of Macedonia

tonyv

tonyv wrote
:
I was a neon snowplow. Then the diesel turned to corn.
icon_razz.gif

... or maybe it should be, "... the diesel ate the corn"?

Hmmmm ..

tonyv
The wax of the universe, eats the crazy cows, and then goes to the road to serve a lunch where the mothers giggle when the husband wears a short skirt and acts like a waitress. After that the soup was baked in the mud, and the rocks were set by the wasted food in the toilet, and then realized how blue is the mountain under the spoon. And he start to cry and cry... ah how funny crying beast.

icon_silent.pngicon_rolleyes.gif

Alek! Alek! Alek! Alek! More, more, more, more!

If I chant it, more will come ...

Thanks for jumping in. I love this!

Aleksandra
icon_eek.gif I can't believe icon_eek.gif

History of Macedonia

tonyv
I have to be careful ... I could start spending all day ... or days ... here on just this topic!

GOOD! I say, carnival plots cannot be staid in many other valances than can be bribed here in these coffined taverns!

dont you think?

But is the carnival a tavern, or is it a thunderburger???

rumisong

YAY ALEKSANDRA!!!

icon_cheers.pnglol.gificon_bounce.gificon_cheers.pngicon_bounce.giflol.gificon_cheers.png

AWESOME!!!

see- tell me this isnt FUN!

IM having fun

*thinks to self, "these are my poet-friends, how dould they NOT like this?! icon_wink.gif*

Aleksandra

rumisong wrote:

YAY ALEKSANDRA!!!

icon_cheers.pnglol.gificon_bounce.gificon_cheers.pngicon_bounce.giflol.gificon_cheers.png

AWESOME!!!

see- tell me this isnt FUN!

icon_rolleyes.gif

rumisong wrote:

IM having fun

*thinks to self, "these are my poet-friends, how dould they NOT like this?!
icon_wink.gif

I am glad that you have fun rumisong icon_smile.gif. Yea we the poets are amazing creatures icon_smile.gif

History of Macedonia

Lake

“This doesn’t make no mud clear.” “Sorry for making your head a bowl of congee. Follow my nonsense, you’ll get the sense.” The cow says to the cowboy. Suddenly the weaving girl drops from the sky.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

the barn meowed to the doorbell seven times,

the dog talked to me about philosophy.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Larsen M. Callirhoe

aleks yours was hilarious. made me chuckle and laugh.

vic

Larsen M. Callirhoe

rumisong

thanks for joining in Lake and Vic!

heres mine for today:

Screens in tents at fairly reduced prices have parachuted over the stage, where everyone was placated by dark wonder and lost shipping lanes- the cost is sheep, and when we get home, the recipe will be in the woodshop- meanwhile, these separations have long since strung themselves to their mastheads- we publish this now, or find the few and the many in peril for their sobriety...

goldenlangur

We could be well on the way to Bushism icon_wink.gif in this wonderful collection of nonsense sentences.

Here's mine:

With a grumble here and a grumble there, the duck snorts:

It's not exactly water off my back!

as he climbs the steep ridge to the mountain abode of his mother-in-law. She awaits him with open wings and a pot of ara. But ere fore he can take a long saturating sip, she yells:

You haven't paid for your libation!

He fluffs around his recently-preened-but-now- doused-feathers for his Mastercard but can't find it. So he flicks out his LG Blackberry:

I'll call the headquarters, he dances.

But the snow we've just had comes not in flurries, but as metre deep sheets and down goes the duck, down go the cables and his Blackberry pinging and blinking.

So if you in the wider world get an unrecognized call, it could our friend the duck. Do ignore him and this.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

rumisong

icon_cool.gificon_biggrin.png

Come on now- tell me that isnt FUN!

icon_cool.gificon_biggrin.pngicon_bounce.gif

Aleksandra

Ah people, you are all nice icon_smile.gif.

Here is one, British joke icon_biggrin.png -

" Two sneakers were walking, especially the left one. "

icon_biggrin.png

Vic glad that you laughed. icon_smile.gif

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

goldenlangur
Ah people, you are all nice icon_smile.gif.

Here is one, British joke icon_biggrin.png -

" Two sneakers were walking, especially the left one. "

icon_biggrin.png

Vic glad that you laughed. icon_smile.gif

Aleksandra

That is a great one, Aleksandra icon_smile.gif Wonder if it was Michael Foot's? icon_wink.gif

Certainly having fun rumisong icon_smile.gif

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

the ceiling was talking to me and the sky starting walking.

Larsen M. Callirhoe