Poetry Magnum Opus

Happy 4th of July

Tinker

JULY42007012-1.jpg

Granddaughters goofing off last 4th.... Enjoying the day.

As most of you know, here in the US on this day we celebrate freedom with barbeques and fireworks. The fireworks are off limits in my neck of the woods this year because of the high fire danger. But my home is open to old and new friends and we are having a barbeque. I wish you all were close enough to stop by.... The steaks are on the grill.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

I could see the fireworks from my window last night. It's overcast and rainy today, but looks like it's drying out.

So ... are you grilling up some tofu, Tinker? I'll be right over. icon_smile.gif

Enjoy!

Tony icon_biggrin.png

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

LOL, No Tony we are carnivors here, juicy steaks are on the grill but there is also beer, corn on the cob, potato salad, watermelon, guacamole with chips, and homemade blackberry pie... I am sure you wouldn't go home hungry.

~~Tony

The New Colossus

Not like the brazen giants of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep ancient lands your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

---------------------------------Emma Lazarus

--------------------------------Sonnet inscribed at the base of the Statue of Liberty

My parents were refugees during World War II and were able to build a new life in America. For this, I am grateful. America has worked for them.

While growing up, America has worked for me in certain respects also, but along the way I have learned things which I can't unlearn. There's lots of good, but there's also plenty of bad. Unjust government actions perpetrated abroad have also been accompanied by escalating injustices here at home.

Today, liberty is at stake in America. Official actions, perpetrated under color of law, range from assaults on the person, to deprivation of property and rights, including attempts to stifle dissent and speech. Whether committed at the butt of a gun, or with complicity of the courts, acts of government lawlessness are assaults on liberty, and they weigh heavily on the conscience, and stress the soul, of a thinking and moral person.

I still believe America is the greatest experiment in government in all of history. It still has the finest form of government (outside of God's kingdom) on paper. America's framers were highly intelligent and articulate men of reason. They were also radicals. Read a few quotes by these statesmen and compare them to the lies and drivel that issue from the mouths of today's politician-types. Here are a few (there are many more):

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen! --Samuel Adams

Among the natural rights of the Colonists are these: First, a right to life; Secondly, to liberty; Thirdly, to property; together with the right to support and defend them in the best manner they can. --Samuel Adams

It is the greatest absurdity to suppose it in the power of one, or any number of men, at the entering into society, to renounce their essential natural rights, or the means of preserving those rights ... If men, through fear, fraud, or mistake, should in terms renounce or give up any essential natural right, the eternal law of reason and the grand end of society would absolutely vacate such renunciation. The right to freedom being the gift of God Almighty, it is not in the power of man to alienate this gift and voluntarily become a slave. --Samuel Adams

The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. --Thomas Jefferson

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. --Thomas Jefferson

Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government. --Thomas Jefferson

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies. --Thomas Jefferson

I abhor war and view it as the greatest scourge of mankind. --Thomas Jefferson

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. --Thomas Jefferson

Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. --Thomas Jefferson

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. --Thomas Jefferson

He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money. --Ben Franklin

America has regressed a long way from the ideals of its framers. When Franklin emerged from the Constitutional Convention, he was asked by a group of citizens what form of government had been given them. Franklin's reply: "A republic, if you can keep it." A noteworthy point about our Constitution was made by John Adams: "We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. . . . Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." [emphasis mine]

Is America a dying empire? To the smug people from other nations who contend that it is, I say that, for all our sakes, I hope that it is. America was never meant to be an empire, or a bull in a china shop, as can be seen from Jefferson's quotes above.

Is the European Union the answer to America? As far as form of government is concerned, compare the EU's Constitution and America's Constitution and decide for yourself. I maintain that it is not. For some individuals, it very well could be.

Is the America of today worth dying for? I no longer know. I am an American by birth, but I am also an Estonian, and I have access to the European Union. I am in crisis mode. Should one always stay and fight? My parents were refugees, and perhaps expatriation is now the answer for me. I recall a quote by Samuel Adams: "All men have a right to remain in a state of nature as long as they please; and in case of intolerable oppression, civil or religious, to leave the society they belong to, and enter into another." It is with great anxiety, fear, and overwhelming sadness that I face these questions.

Peace,

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Interesting post Tony, and one worth noting. I have always considered myself a proud American based on beliefs and actions of our founding fathers. It is disappointing and disturbing to see the direction this country has been taken. I know a long political discussion could ensue, but I'll close by saying the leaders of our country are in everyway far removed from the people who made this country great. Til

Hi Tony, icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.png Remind me never to invite you to a party again. icon_biggrin.png You certainly know how to kill a high. icon_evil.gif I am sorry you are so unhappy and I agree that there are many things that need fixing here in the US.

BUT, I still love my country, I love the people who live here and I celebrate those generous, industrious people that I meet here every day. The party was a huge success with great food brought by everyone who came... flavored by tastes from all over the world since all of us have roots from immigrants from other countries only 1 or 2 generations removed. I can think of no other place I would rather be than here where I call home.

~~Tink

Interesting post Tony, and one worth noting. I have always considered myself a proud American based on beliefs and actions of our founding fathers. It is disappointing and disturbing to see the direction this country has been taken. I know a long political discussion could ensue, but I'll close by saying the leaders of our country are in everyway far removed from the people who made this country great. Til

Hey Tilsover,

Although there are still lots of good people in America (some even in government), I have to say that, ultimately, the direction this country has gone in is the fault of the American people. Yes, there has been consistent subversion, and many people make just enough money so they can keep on working, but nowhere else in the world do people have as much control over their government.

Always a pleasure to see you,

Tony icon_smile.gif

Tinker wrote:

...I love the people who live here and I celebrate those generous, industrious people that I meet here every day. ~~Tink

Tinker, I re-read your reply, and I edited this reply of mine. I do understand ... especially this part, and there was no reason for me to rain on the parade with an extended rant and ramblings. Please forgive me for that ...

I'm glad all went well.

Tony

Tony, No need to apologize, you said what was in your heart. I am sorry you are faced with this decision. Clearly you had to get it off your chest.

But, don't worry, I will invite you to my next party. icon_wink.gif Friday was great and I am sorry that I couldn't have all of my PMO friend here. Wouldn't that be a great party!

~~Tink

Larsen M. Callirhoe

i hope everyone in the usa had a great 4th. the nursing home celebrated the day before. weactually had real beef for once besises hamburgers which they serve about once every two weeks.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Tony, No need to apologize, you said what was in your heart. I am sorry you are faced with this decision. Clearly you had to get it off your chest.

But, don't worry, I will invite you to my next party. icon_wink.gif Friday was great and I am sorry that I couldn't have all of my PMO friend here. Wouldn't that be a great party!

~~Tink

Thank you, Tinker! I would certainly attend, no matter where my home at the time would be! icon_biggrin.png

As for a PMO convention ... now THAT would be exciting! Perhaps we can have one soon icon_idea.png, at a location that's convenient for all members ... like New York City! (Ok, so that just happens to be convenient for me ... icon_razz.gif)

With best wishes always,

Tony icon_smile.gif

Aleksandra

Happy belated 4th of July my friends icon_smile.gif I wish you all the best. I like this conversation and I will read some close on this posts.

And yes what ever it is, everybody loves his/her own country, even if the country is the worst.

Tony and Tink I like too yours idea for PMO convention icon_smile.gif but Tony don't forget that here are PMO'ers from all over the world so I think the center and convenient for that would be Europa? icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.png

Lets find organizers, who wanna be the showman icon_biggrin.png? Come on American guys icon_biggrin.png

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

goldenlangur

JULY42007012-1.jpg

Granddaughters goofing off last 4th.... Enjoying the day.

~~Tink

Hi PMOers in US,

Belated but sincere wishes for this special day!

Sounds like the partying went off with a bang even though Tink had a restriction for health and safety reasons. Same here fireworks not permitted at our autumn harvest rites, for fire prevention and also fears that terrorists use this as cover to launch attacks!

Beautiful pic of your grandchildren, Tink - many moments and memories to treasure icon_biggrin.png

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

goldenlangur

Hi Tony,

Your reflections here touched a chord. Going on from that splendid sonnet at the base of the Statue of Liberty, you posted, it's fitting that you found this a time to celebrate and a time to reflect. If it's any comfort, the political dilemmas you highlight, have a resonance in other parts of the globe.

Do you find a correlation in the globalization of the world and the narrowing of national boundaries, increasing loss of civil liberties and encroaching presence of a centripetal government, which takes more and more control of the citizen's life? A British friend repeatedly talks of how the government in the UK through schools, health posters and local government bodies, determines what is healthy eating, living, how children should be managed/brought up etc.

There is also the issue of ID Cards, which the British government argues, I believe, will protect the country from terrorists and unwanted economic emigrants entering the UK as the one-in-all ID Card will make it easier for the security forces to determine the identities of people entering the UK. Your observations here reminded me of his misgivings:

tonyv wrote:

Today,
liberty is at stake in America.
Official actions, perpetrated under color of law, range from assaults on the person, to deprivation of property and rights, including attempts to stifle dissent and speech. Whether committed at the butt of a gun, or with complicity of the courts, acts of government lawlessness are assaults on liberty, and they weigh heavily on the conscience, and stress the soul, of a thinking and moral person...

Tony

In my tiny corner of the world - censorship of the Press and TV etc and issuing of ID Cards were not even debated! And yes, it's about "protecting the country" and yes, all the details of the individual, are held in a system that any official can access at any time! But the recent first democratic elections in March this year, have spawned a huge debate about where we're going and a lot of procedures, practices which were followed without much ado, have come into focus. So along with the positive outcome of a more open society and political system, we are looking at some of our beliefs and procedures which stifled the individual. Not a very comforting experience but like you, while we celebrate, we're taking stock of what has been/are still questionable practices.

I admire your courage in voicing your misgivings. As you passionately show, it is precisely because America is your birth country, that you feel deeply about how it has evolved since the high ideals of its Founding Fathers. Would you say that it is indifference. political apathy rather than dissent, which tolls the knell of a nation? It is when ordinary citizens no longer question, and no longer participate in the political process - whether exercising their voting rights or voicing their dissent that the country loses its soul.

Both Tink's and your posts show wonderfully that such passionate, dissenting views are possible in your country.

Yes, you face a difficult and painful challenge and choice. But for it's worth I believe that raising your concerns is a far better way to react than walking away from it all without a word. America is no less a of nation for your words.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

hi everyone,

if i might add my 2 cents on this subject. we are becoming societies what not only what we have but other societies in the world want us to submit to there way of lifestyle and thinking. all that will do is bring us back to the stoneage my friends. we have the technoligies available yet hidden from people. for example we do have engines for cars that us only a gallon of gas for every 200 to 240 mph. yet oil companies but these designs and don't allow them in cars because of greed. these fuel effectient motors produc less emictons also. i think there has to be a way to make liberty especially in america stand for what it use to mean here. we the government would rather censor certain technologies because of greed and wealth. capitalism is destroying america. if gas prices go up much more te airlines might not be able to afford to run there business andthe airline industry might fold. without ntravel pople would have to depend o private small cass companies for commuting. do you know what that would do to americas liberties. without travel only the wealthy would be able to travel. because of gas prices america may loose its freedom to travel. the liberties of traveling in ameica helps the economy in many parts of the usa especially central and southern florida. wihou travel from the airlines many pople in florida would be jobless. liberty is meaingless without jobs.

tony struck a cord with me mentioning what our forefathers words on the pursuit of liberty life justice and capitalism. our forefathers would rather walk then pay these absurd gas prices. we might end up losing much of our liberty in the usa because of terriorism. the bible mentions a time where people took the mark of the beast to buy or sell. i believe the smartchip used in ideas is the start of this. it will also be used for identification purposes. this would also take people liberties away if they could be tracked from anywhere in the world and be tracked wherever they go. i know many people believe the christian bible is nonsense but i dont.

gotta go finnish this later. thunderstorm is approaching and i dont want my computer zapped.

vic

Larsen M. Callirhoe