rumisong wrote:

fresh paw prints

the barn door tightly shut

a disappointed bobcat

goldenlangur wrote:

You give us something of the wildlife in your part of the globe, rumisong
icon_smile.gif

So how about this!

no sooner do I make up this haiku, and sure enough, just this morning- look at what I find leading up to the barn

they go right up to the barn door- then without any hesitation head back off to the road again...

tracksinsnow1.jpg

Im sure these are not bobcat tracks however, bobcats are extremely rare in this part of New Hampshire- and a local domestic dog is very very unlikely (no one around lets their dogs run loose)- Im pretty positive these would be from the coyote weve seen several times... too big for a fox I think, which roommates and neighbors have also reported seeing...

tracksinsnow2.jpg

oh, and let me share this one from a few evenings ago...

deerandsnow008.jpg

... these deer were very attentive in this moment to something up by the driveway, but it didnt end up spookiing them... if I tap on the window and make all sorts of arm waving, it doesnt stir them any- I think because Im on the second floor, and just like a hunter in a tree, the deer cant "see" (or think in terms of) UP... but if something is on the ground level, outside or in, they will be spooked much easier...

this group is rumaging for apples and pears left behind under the snow... a short while later a buck comes sauntering up, and most of this crew leaves the scene at that point... it started getting dark quickly

deerandsnow018.jpg

EDIT: oh, I should have mentioned, at this point, there is only one chicken in the barn... maybe if there were more, or if we had other livestock in there, the prints would have more than hesitated - they probably would be all around the barn looking for a way in... but apparently Betty (our chicken) doesnt smell so tasty icon_smile.gif

whew Betty...

Edited by rumisong

goldenlangur

Great shots rumisong icon_smile.gif

The deer seem rather calmly curious as if they can't understand what all the fuss is about!

Can chance of a shot of a coyote? Hope Betty remains safe.

Thank you for sharing these.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Yes, Rumisong, usually the picture would be the inspiration and would precede the poem. In this case, it was the other way around!

I live in the city now, but I can remember, sometimes when growing up, seeing wildlife in my parents' back yard. Usually it was woodchucks, rabbits, and squirrels, but occasionally it would be a few young deer that wandered out of the woods. Your deer seem more "wild" -- I know that sounds ridiculous -- but it's probably because there are so many of them all together and because they look bigger than the ones I remember. And the tracks are certainly exciting. It would seem that they're from a predator, judging by the way they lead up to Betty's house. icon_eek.gif

Interesting fact about how the deer don't think in terms of "up." I never knew why those clever hunters climbed into trees! Now I do. icon_lol.gif

Thanks for the idyllic pictures and for sharing the interesting way in which life imitated art. Take good care of Betty!

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Youre reminding me Tony... I have some friends down in Maryland- not but a few miles from DC, and the Capitol Mall... and there is where Ive seen more deer in their yard, than in the 40 some odd years prior living up here in New England... and rabbits and woodchucks...

so, it was an isolated pocket of woods, but so so close to some real city...

I guess thats why theyre so prevelant- because theyre "trapped" in these woods... whereas in New England, lord knows, there are so many more places for deer to 'hide' and be free of human contact...

these were taken in their backyard during a two week house-sitting I did for them...

now THESE deer are much larger than ours up here...

deer.jpg

bunny1.jpg

groundhog.jpg

littlebunny.jpg

(by the way, yes- Betty is being taken good care of... poor thing, she is lonely though... we lost Roberta and Chocolate, her coopmates, this past year- and we have yet to get any more... the other two were just old- and we knew that they didnt have long... Betty is a young one though- so we'll either have to get more chickens, or give her away to the farm at the bottom of the hill, so she can be with others)

goldenlangur

Love the leaves stripped deer int he first shot.

Good to know Betty is safe.

Thank you for these icon_smile.gif

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Wow, these are wonderful! Thank you for sharing your extraordinary photos. You are a talented photographer. I see wildlife on a daily basis but have never even thought to photograph it.

The little rabbit is adorable, your photo shamed me. The last time I spotted a jackrabbit I didn't think it so cute, it was eating my lettuce. I thought of shooting it but not with a camera. icon_evil.gif Our deer are small but very bold. They graze in our horse pasture all of the time. Here in northern California we have fox, bobcats and coyotes also but usually I only see these in my headlights as they dart across the road. Seems even though we live on opposite coasts we share similar sights... But here on the coast we rarely see snow.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Tinker wrote:

Wow, these are wonderful! Thank you for sharing your extraordinary photos.

Thanks! Im glad that you like them icon_smile.gif (Photoshop of course helps a good deal *wink*)

The last time I spotted a jackrabbit I didn't think it so cute, it was eating my lettuce. I thought of shooting it but not with a camera.
icon_evil.gif

Ha Ha! Ill hold back on the Elmer Fudd jokes icon_wink.gif

Aleksandra

How wonderful work rumisong. I am a bit jealous, because here deers are not walking just like that. I know at the mountains exist deers - not so many but exist, rabbits also, fox, wolfs, bears...

I love this topic. The prints are really interesting, and I like the area.

Thanks for sharing all of this.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

oh, Im so very glad you enjoyed Aleksandra - and that you told us some of what you have around you there- I like hearing the facts and stories of other places from the perspective of people I 'know' ...

You live so close to nature and shoot great pictures, rumisong. Each of them can serve as an inspiration for a haiku.

Enjoyed it.

Lake