Poetry Magnum Opus

About the audio archive (and related discussions)

In a recent post, our member Waxwing stated something I have wanted to express for awhile:

waxwing wrote:

A major idea is that a poem must make sound and sense, and, to be progressive, poets should perhaps exploit all the knowledge available re speech because a poem does not exist fully unless it is recited out loud.

In that spirit, we have created a new forum in which members can share audio recordings of their poems. Please see the instructions in the rules announcement above. Okay, Alek and I will go first.icon_rolleyes.gif Let's hear your poems in your own voices ... Don't be shy!icon_razz.gif

Tony icon_biggrin.png

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING!!!

yours and Alex's - I love this- I love this...

Ill have to find a microphone now...

it'll be embarrassing no doubt- but you two are brave and they are wonderful readings (and Alex's voice is just as sexy as one might imagine icon_wink.gif) and so now Ill have to do it... may take a bit, but Ill give it my best

BRAVO for this! all of this!

I just started going to a poetry group once a month down at a church that I show up at every so often... and there, when you present your work, you are encouraged to make copies so everyone can read along while you read it, and then when youve finished your own reading, the person on the right of you also reads it... then comments are invited and questions and answer session after that...

so, this gives me some thoughts... it might be cool to provide a link to where your work is in the forum so we can read along should we choose- (a bit extra work, yes- but it might be something one wants to do)

and, invitations for others to read OUR works for us would be a neato thing... how might we do that? It was really wonderful to have my poem read by another person (the pastor, as it happens) and her reading was really fantastic- better than my own I have no doubt!

Thanks, Rumisong, for your enthusiasm! We had fun making this new forum, and we hope everyone will enjoy it. Looking forward to your audio files ... let us know if you need help.

Tony icon_biggrin.png

PS -- What about my voice? It's just as sexy as you imagined, too, right? icon_razz.gif

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

tonyv wrote:

PS -- What about my voice? It's just as sexy as you imagined, too, right?
icon_razz.gif

LOL!!! umm... umm....

Can I let Alexsandra or Tink take that one? please? (yes, Im sure it is... LOL)

rumisong wrote:

so, this gives me some thoughts... it might be cool to provide a link to where your work is in the forum so we can read along should we choose- (a bit extra work, yes- but it might be something one wants to do)

and, invitations for others to read OUR works for us would be a neato thing... how might we do that? It was really wonderful to have my poem read by another person (the pastor, as it happens) and her reading was really fantastic- better than my own I have no doubt!

Yes, Rumisong, I meant to say that, too. If a member prefers to have someone else read his poem, of course he can ask the member of his choice, and it would certainly be permissible. And also, we did post in the instructions/rules announcement above that the posting of a link to the text of the poem next to the audio file link is allowed. I might just do that for mine soon.

Tony icon_smile.gif

Hello Rumi. icon_smile.gif At first glad you liked the audios. It would be wonderful if more of us do the same.

I must say that me myself I am not so brave for this, but Tony made me... Still I am having problems with my English and I am trying more and more to do the best what I can. Definitely I would change my poems with new readings, it is not that what I want to be.

Tony, about you icon_smile.gif. Don't ask Rumi if you sound sexy or no. Ask me icon_biggrin.png. icon_redface.gif - Your voice sounds just perfect, and I use you as example how the poem should be read. Ok I can't copy you - you sound very... manly, sexy icon_biggrin.png

icon_redface.gif

I'm looking forward for more records by you too Rumi icon_smile.gif

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

Larsen M. Callirhoe wrote:

i couldnt hear your voice dear. i had my speakers turned up to maxium and i heard nothing you said. i wonder whay the problem is.

victor

Victor, I took what you wrote in Alek's topic and moved it into this topic. (You can re-post the text next to your avatar if you would like, and I can delete my post.) No replies should be posted in the various members' audio topics.

Tony

Sorry, Victor, I moved your reply to mine into this topic also ...

Larsen M. Callirhoe wrote:

hi tony August was excellent, i will listen to the others later. you did good. hearing your voice you should do movie presentations of classic movies,

now i need to figure out why i didnt hear aleks voice.

victor

Again, repost it if you would like next to your name and I can delete my post. Thanks, as always, for your kind words.

Tony

goldenlangur

Hi Aleksandra and Tony,

Wonderful idea of audio presentation of poems and I really enjoyed listening to your readings.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Glad you enjoyed goldenlangur. It was Tony's idea, and I love it too. And I hope we wont stay alone in the audio archive icon_smile.gif.

History of Macedonia

OK, I've downloaded Audacity. I've made a recording. It works!! Now how do I get it uploaded to the forum? Who are these Web Server sharks? They want me to sign my life away in monthly installments!! Please advise me what to do next.

Anois,

dedalus

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

dedalus wrote:

OK, I've downloaded Audacity. I've made a recording. It works!! Now how do I get it uploaded to the forum? Who are these Web Server sharks? They want me to sign my life away in monthly installments!! Please advise me what to do next.

No, it definitely shouldn't cost anything. The Audacity program is free, and the next step (after you have made the recording, which you have already done) should be to save the audio file to your computer's hard drive (either in wav or mp3 form), and then to upload it to some place where files can be stored and accessed. After that, you can make a link to the file in your audio topic. Most people I know use some form of free web storage for files (like photobucket for their pictures), and I'm using some web storage included with each email account from my ISP. The only additional thing is this: when you're saving your Audacity file to your hard drive, you should choose which file type (like wav or mp3) to save it as. Alek wanted to save them as mp3's, and, in order to convert the files to mp3's, we had to download one additional component (also free) to go along with the Audacity program. I downloaded the file (which shows up as "Lame_v3.98.2_for_Audacity_on_Windows" on my desktop), but I haven't had to actually do anything with it. It's now simply possible to save the audio files as mp3's. But I think wav's are fine and they use less space. I don't really know what the advantages or disadvantages are for each. Alek wanted mp3's, so we made mp3's. icon_smile.gif I noticed that Badge's Tintagel file is in wav format, so both work. If you do need somewhere to upload your audio files, you can send them to us as an email attachment (to pmo.admin@cox.net), and we can upload and store the files for you. If you do try to send it to us and the file is too big to be in an email attachment, let me know, and I'll send you a different email address which (I think) will allow bigger attachments, though I don't think that will be necessary (unless you send us a video poem.icon_smile.gif ) In any case, I know all of this might still be confusing, so let me know if it's unclear or if you need more help. Looking forward to hearing you!

Tony

Definitely save it as MP3 file dedalus especially if you have some crashed computer as mine and my players doesn't allows wav. files, because I did something on them earlier and I can't fix that now before reinstall the music players. I had problems with hearing poem, so Tony helped me with converting that file in mp3 and sent to me, so I was listening icon_smile.gif.

So you can do that, of course the choice is yours.

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

Thanks, I think. But how?? Steps, you know. One. Two. Three

Sorry to be such a pain. I'll work it out. I swear I will. Thanks for all your time and trouble!!

dedalus (Brendan)

Sorry to be such a pain. I'll work it out. I swear I will. Thanks for all your time and trouble!!

dedalus (Brendan)

Please don't give up on it ... I know the videos are poor quality but you only have to endure the first one. (If you have any other questions about that, I can help with those, too.) Just save the file to your hard drive by using "export" [(In Audacity program)File>Export]and email it to me as an attachment. I'll upload and store it for you ...

Suggestion:

an audio weekend

writers nominate one of their own poems for reading

readers post an audio of any of the poems nominated other than their own

chance to hear how others read your poem!

badge

Suggestion:

an audio weekend

badge

That's so exciting to hear how others read your poem! Great idea, Badger.

Suggestion:

an audio weekend

badge

That's so exciting to hear how others read your poem! Great idea, Badger.

Great idea! I'll make the topic ...

I locked the "Audio Weekend" topic because we're trying to keep the topics in this forum discussion-free (links to audio recordings only). I find myself having to move comments from the various topics into the sticky About the audio archive and "The Audio Weekend" discussion topics. If anyone else would like his audio topic locked (or unlocked in order to be able to post more links), please let me or Alek know. If anyone has a link to a new recording for the "Audio Weekend" topic, please send it to me or Alek in a PM or email and we'll add it to the topic.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

oh lake both of your piems read aloud or sung aloud is awesome. i love it. i would go to each radio statio with brick kiln blues and ask them to play it. that being sung is a hit in the making. the lyrical poem moved me very much.

larsen aka victor

Larsen M. Callirhoe

• 2 weeks later...
Larsen M. Callirhoe

geesh lake brick kiln blues is so beautiful and deep. i love the song sung by dave. if he has this on cd i will by it. i hope he has other recordings i love music like this.

victor

Larsen M. Callirhoe

• 2 months later...

Hi Victor,

I just read this. Yes, Dave said when he makes another CD he'll add Brick Kiln Blue on. He has other recordings of course and luckily I have one of his "Dreams of Flying". I enjoy listening to his singing and I'm sure you will too. Here is the link if you are interested.

http://www.myspace.com/dreamsofflight

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.