Poetry Magnum Opus

"The Audio Weekend" --discussion

Badge has suggested that we have some more audio fun, in which we nominate one of our poems to be read out loud by someone else.icon_smile.gif Let's use this thread to post the poem we would like to have read and to volunteer to read the poem of another. Then, as the recordings become available, we can add them into another comprehensive "Audio Weekend" topic. Okay, who wants to read one of my poems from the old PMO site? icon_biggrin.png

Rx

The summer doesn't miss

the spring

it is what it is:

it's its own

Perhaps it's okay to hide

for awhile, invisible

like winter in the middle

of July

Maybe goodbye would

be okay

maybe today

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Late Again

Awake with wine she waits beneath the scent

of hanging baskets for the midnight train

is late again. Alone in moonlight she sips

her wine, unzips her plastic purse, and files

her nails to convex curves. Time to observe

two lovers locking limbs in easy rhythms,

whispering words that bleed all day and night,

that seep and seed desire upon the wasteland.

She stares away, emptying her glass, crosses

the line for the midnight train is here again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope to read a few, including yours Tony!

Aleksandra

I love the idea, I am informed about all news on the board, but here I must say something. Would you guys like me to read your poetry icon_biggrin.png, haha... You won't even recognize that I am reading poem of yours icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.png

( joking icon_wink.gif )

I look forward to see what happens here icon_smile.gif.

ALeksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

Aleksandra wrote:

Would you guys like me to read your poetry
icon_biggrin.png
, haha... You won't even recognize that I am reading poem of yours
icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.png

ALeksandra

badger11 wrote:

Sure would...your accent is so expressive!

Alek, I'm still in charge here! icon_mad.gif (Okay, so you let me think I'm in charge ... icon_rolleyes.gif ) In any case, I command you to read and submit an audio recording of Badger's poem, or the next one he submits for the audio weekend! icon_smile.gif

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

BTW, the first readings are in. (I made the topic for them below.) Dedalus surprised me with an email containing his readings of my own and Badger's poems. Thanks, Brendan! Hope to add more readings as soon as they come in.

Tony icon_smile.gif

dedalus wrote:

Oops, I messed up on badger's wee masterpiece. I had "lockers locking" instead of lovers. That alliteration will get you every time! I'll give it another go, badge!

icon_lol.gif the evils of alliteration Tony!

Enjoyed the readings Brendan, your pacing, your use of pause: my feeling was that you felt more comfortable reading Tony's poem rather than the longer lines in mine. Interesting for me if that was the case.

badge

Reading your own stuff isn't all that easy (!) but at least you have an idea of what's going on. Reading another person's poem tends to multiply the difficulties. Sorry if I made a mess of it. I did (do) like the poem!

Bren

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

Reading your own stuff isn't all that easy (!) but at least you have an idea of what's going on. Reading another person's poem tends to multiply the difficulties. Sorry if I made a mess of it. I did (do) like the poem!

Bren

You certainly didn't make a mess Brendan. You're obviously a skillful reader, with the added colour of your accent giving a little extra too!

No, the interest for me was how the shorter line, in my opinion, opened up a richer experience for the reader. In terms of pause, pacing, expression, focus - the shorter line gave options for focus - may be this is just me! icon_lol.gif

badge

Kind words, badge! Ta. It's all very new so I'm still sort of feeling my way into it. I have a long one coming up (15 mins!!) entitled "The Dark Ungentle Art of Murder" but I don't know how to post directly to the Forum yet. Tony's been helping me out. The man's a saint. You can get it here on Boxnet:

http://www.box.net/shared/eel4uvpota

Yes, yes, yes, I will get around to publishing the text. For the moment I'm just playing around with sound.

Slán anois,

Bren

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

dedalus wrote:

... I don't know how to post directly to the Forum yet.... You can get it here on Boxnet:

But you're doing just fine, Brendan. For example, here (with The Dark Ungentle Art of Murder) you have (a) successfully made and saved a recording, (B) uploaded (i.e. stored) the recording to box.net, and © provided us with the link to the recording. (I'm listening to it now. icon_smile.gif ) The only thing I have done in the other cases is uploaded the files you've sent me to a different storage place (like box.net) and added a link right here on the site (as you have already done in this case) to your content. But the extra step of sending the file or the link to me really isn't necessary; Box.net is a wonderful place for file storage. I'll put this link to your murder poem inside your audio topic. (You can remove it if you want by clicking "edit" and deleting the link.) When someone clicks the link, Box.net will open, and he will (as I did) have the option to either open or download the audio file. The link that I will place in your audio topic will be the same one you have provided here; it will just look different from the one you posted here, but that's just a matter of code; if you look in your audio topic and click "edit," you will see the code I used, and you can do the same to make any link look like that.

Tony

Lake? Aleks? Tony??

I hope this project will not run dry...some watering...some voices?

I don't think so, Badge. I can only speak for myself when I say I've been a little busy and am somewhat behind icon_redface.gif, and I know Alek has been occupied to some extent, too, but both of us hope to have some fun with this soon. There's no reason why this project can't be ongoing ... After all, there are 52 weekends in a year! icon_smile.gif

Btw, I think Brendan did a great job reading your poem, and I don't think that I can match it, so gimme a different poem, and I'll read, record, and post it today!

Tony icon_biggrin.png

Btw, I think Brendan did a great job reading your poem, and I don't think that I can match it, so gimme a different poem, and I'll read, record, and post it today!

No hurry Tony. Just needed some reassurance that this wasn't dead.

I prefer to think we all read differently rather than perfectly/imperfectly - the readings will be richer for that - my intention was to give my reading of my poem, but I dearly wanted to hear yours (and others!) first.

Indulge me?

Badge :o)

You don't want to listen to my voice, Badger. I'm lisping. I'll read Hello as Herro. icon_lol.gif Besides, I don't even know how to handle these hi tech.

But I do enjoy listening to all the readings here.

Badger's reading sounds like what his poem should sound.

Alek and Tony, can you open up a bit? Quite mysterious, though.

Brendan, very dramatic, a performer.

Enjoyed the listen.

Lake icon_smile.gif

I posted my recording of Late Again, Badge ... I hope you like it!

Tony icon_biggrin.png

Btw, Badge, I love this highly sensual poem with the sips/unzips and its easy rhythms! I wish I wrote this one ...

Lake wrote:

You don't want to listen to my voice, Badger. I'm lisping. I'll read Hello as Herro.
icon_lol.gif
Besides, I don't even know how to handle these hi tech.

Ah, comeon, Lake ... we all want to hear you! You probably don't sound nearly as bad as you think. Many times when someone first hears a recording of his own voice it sounds strange to him, but what he doesn't realize is that others don't see (or hear) it that way; to others it just sounds normal.icon_wink.gif (Don't forget, it would also be wonderful to hear you read some of your own poetry in Chinese ... Add it to your audio topic! icon_smile.gif )

Lake wrote:

Alek and Tony, can you open up a bit? Quite mysterious, though.

Not sure what you mean ... please explain.

Tony icon_smile.gif

Deepest gratitude Tony. The more I listen to your reading, the more I'm drawn into the poem, hearing the poem's voice rather than mine!

This exercise has given much to ponder on, especially as regards line length.

many thanks

badge

You don't want to listen to my voice, Badger
. I'm lisping. I'll read Hello as Herro. Besides, I don't even know how to handle these hi tech.

Yes, I do. It helps me, and I'm sure it will help you, in writing poems.

We all have an individuality in our voices, which makes the experience all the richer.

Perhaps, as Tony suggests, is to do a reading in Chinese of one of your poems. Maybe we could do a reading of the translation!

badge icon_biggrin.png

Aleksandra
Aleksandra wrote:

Would you guys like me to read your poetry
icon_biggrin.png
, haha... You won't even recognize that I am reading poem of yours
icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.png

ALeksandra

badger11 wrote:

Sure would...your accent is so expressive!

Alek, I'm still in charge here! icon_mad.gif (Okay, so you let me think I'm in charge ... icon_rolleyes.gif ) In any case, I command you to read and submit an audio recording of Badger's poem, or the next one he submits for the audio weekend! icon_smile.gif

Ok there it is icon_smile.gif, and stop yelling at me icon_mad.gificon_smile.gif.

I made 2 fast readings, to Rx and Late again. I enjoyed much by doing that, and I miss doing more and more. But soon I will do more job, at least practicing good reading icon_rolleyes.gif .

I love all the recordings here boys icon_wink.gif. You are all doing such a nice job. I hope the girls will make some audio files too icon_biggrin.png not only me - alone icon_wink.gif.

Lake I want you to help me to read in Chinese icon_surprised.gif - and let badger and others to read the translations icon_biggrin.png

Badger and Brendan, there is so much emotions in your voices. I love listening to you guys.

Thanks to all of you.

Alek

History of Macedonia

I need to sip some wine myself after your reading Aleks! Then I'll have to explain to Mrs Badger why I'm smiling so happily!

badge 98389.gif

Aleksandra
Aleks do you have a poem that you would like us to read?

Or shall I chose one of yours ?icon_biggrin.png

badge

Ah badge it would be fun to see which one you will chose icon_biggrin.png

icon_wink.gif

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

• 1 year later...
I hope the girls will make some audio files too

Hi Alek,

I love the audio recordings of yours that I have heard thus far. You have a beautiful voice and it lends itself so well to your words... I love the idea of people reading each other's poems here too. I'm new to this community, but very excited to join this project. I have a few readings to post along with the text. I'll try to get to them by this weekend at the latest. This is so fun I can hardly take it!!

~Rachel

Thank you, Rachel :). I'm glad you like my readings, I was always a skeptic about them, maybe because I am not yet satisfied with my English. I would be happy to hear your recordings, and you are welcomed to join us, to this reading team :).

Yes, reading of eachother's poems is exciting. And when you will become used on us, our poetry or voices you will feel that some particular poem would sound perfectly when read by a particular voice. Some poems are born to be read exactly by a proper voice. :)

I look forward to hear you reading your poems.

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

Hey, Badge! I'll allow Alek to read "Tarn" if you will agree to read my "Anthony's Charcoal Pit" poem. :unsure: :icon_sunny:

I was visiting London/Kent, but will see what I can do Tony!

badge

Hi, Rachel. I was listening your recordings and I enjoyed so much. I agree that the poems sounds much different when they are outspoken so your voice gives them different dimension and makes them even better.

Thank you for the recordings and I hope we'll hear more of it :).

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

Hi, Rachel. I was listening your recordings and I enjoyed so much. I agree that the poems sounds much different when they are outspoken so your voice gives them different dimension and makes them even better.

Thank you for the recordings and I hope we'll hear more of it :).

Aleksandra

Hi Alek,

I just saw this now... wonder how I missed it. Sorry about that. Thank you... I really like yours too.

~Rachel

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.