well wishers say:

Death released you from cancer

we must take comfort

but they didn't see

that wordless plea in your eyes

goldenlangur

Edited by goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

now that has some good points of expression goldenlangur. much enjoyed.

victor

Larsen M. Callirhoe

goldenlangur

Hi victor,

Thank you very much for reading this and posting your encouraging comment.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Frank E Gibbard
well wishers say:

we must take comfort

but they didn't see

This caused me some little thought gl - part of the process I know but I could not gladhand mere approbation for the perfect story setting. As to the plea they did not see, was that a craving still for life. I am not saying it is ambiguous - just wanting to understand if it is as it reads and seems to me. Sorry to delve into personal grief, I have been there with a brother and such experience gets rekindled when the subject raises its head. I understand if you are at all reticent to amplify, this was about your Uncle I presume. Regards & sympathy Golden, Frank.

well wishers say:

we must take comfort

but they didn't see

This caused me some little thought gl - part of the process I know but I could not gladhand mere approbation for the perfect story setting. As to the plea they did not see, was that a craving still for life. I am not saying it is ambiguous - just wanting to understand if it is as it reads and seems to me. Sorry to delve into personal grief, I have been there with a brother and such experience gets rekindled when the subject raises its head. I understand if you are at all reticent to amplify, this was about your Uncle I presume. Regards & sympathy Golden, Frank.

I admire your ability to touch upon those delicate matters of grief -- the ones which also cause us to confront our own mortality -- in your tanka. I definitely read "that wordless plea" as an unrealized will to live, but I'll wait to see the poet's reply.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

goldenlangur

Hi Frank,

Going by your thoughtful reviews I don't think you would glad hand praise where it was not due. Please don't apologize for asking especially as you too have experienced loss and grief.

The plea that the well wishers did not see, is indeed my uncle's wish to live longer, as he was such a happy and kind person; loved company and a good laugh.

I'm sure the well wishers intended well but in times of grief words meant to comfort seem to evoke a painful irony.

Thank you for reading this and for letting me explain the situation.

With appreciation.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Thank you Tony for your kind words. These tanka about my uncle seem a kind of unstoppable roll and I don't really know if they work till I get feedback like the ones in this forum

I admire your ability to touch upon those delicate matters of grief -- the ones which also cause us to confront our own mortality -- in your tanka. I definitely read "that wordless plea" as an unrealized will to live, but I'll wait to see the poet's reply.

Tony

You're indeed right - the plea was

his unrealized will to live
He would have been 61 this late summer. So he had much to live for and to laugh for a little longer.

With grateful thanks.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Really touching and sensitive goldenlangur. You expressed your pain on the best way, and you wrote down a very big truth.

Very clever and very moving.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

goldenlangur

Thank you Alexandra.

It is hard to write about a recent death and loss and I appreciate your reassuring words of support very much

goldenlangur