Poetry Magnum Opus

No Method

dr_con

Been awhile since anyone has posted here, but I thought this maybe of interest:

The City Lights No Contest

In a recent interview with PRI's World Books, Beauty Salon author Mario Bellatin described a writing technique called the "No Method": "For years I tried to create for myself a method of writing that would be my own. I called it the No Method, not because it was influenced by the Japanese theatrical form of that name, but rather because it was about appending a 'no' to all the elements that supposedly make up literary texts. No adjectives, no dialogue, no space, no time, no omniscience, no names, and so on and so forth, until I had compiled a long list of noes. It was in that way, restricted all the way down to the most minimal aspects, that I began to see that, in a certain sense, things could be named anew."

Our challenge to you: use Bellatin's No Method--no adjectives, no dialogue, no space, no time, no omniscience, no names--to write a short piece of fiction (under 200 words), and send your entry to contest@citylights.com under the subject line "No Contest." The person with the best entry will receive a free copy of Beauty Salon and a choice of four other books from our City Lights Publishers Literature in Translation list. Submissions are due no later than October 15, 2009.

No contest

DC

• 2 months later...
Been awhile since anyone has posted here, but I thought this maybe of interest:

The City Lights No Contest

In a recent interview with PRI's World Books, Beauty Salon author Mario Bellatin described a writing technique called the "No Method": "For years I tried to create for myself a method of writing that would be my own. I called it the No Method, not because it was influenced by the Japanese theatrical form of that name, but rather because it was about appending a 'no' to all the elements that supposedly make up literary texts. No adjectives, no dialogue, no space, no time, no omniscience, no names, and so on and so forth, until I had compiled a long list of noes. It was in that way, restricted all the way down to the most minimal aspects, that I began to see that, in a certain sense, things could be named anew."

Our challenge to you: use Bellatin's No Method--no adjectives, no dialogue, no space, no time, no omniscience, no names--to write a short piece of fiction (under 200 words), and send your entry to contest@citylights.com under the subject line "No Contest." The person with the best entry will receive a free copy of Beauty Salon and a choice of four other books from our City Lights Publishers Literature in Translation list. Submissions are due no later than October 15, 2009.

No contest

DC

No response. Ypu have said it.

waxwings

• 1 month later...