Poetry Magnum Opus

Valentine Poem

badger11

Hi badge,

Wonderfully playful and yet wistful - if I'm not too off the mark - this has such a tanka-like tone and effect. I love the :

... the laughter

that colours my days.

Thank you.

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

- this has such a tanka-like tone and effect.

I must admit my friend I had not intended that, but perhaps a subconscious effect of my reading elsewhere!

hope all is well

badge

I must admit my friend I had not intended that, but perhaps a subconscious effect of my reading elsewhere!

hope all is well

badge

You tell a story well in a few lines so reminiscent of the tanka. Me thinks you've got the spirit of the form :icon_sunny:

Celebrating our new year and hoping to write more in the months to come.

Lovely to read your work again.

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

I see a lovely exchange has taken place here, triggered by a lovely "Valentine Poem." :D (I, too, noticed its tanka-like characteristics. -_- ) But I love its personal element. This one's like a snapshot. Happy V-Day!

Tony :heart:

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Tanka or not, but a wonderful poem :). Very soft and bright poem. In some way nostalgic, also. I read this with a smile on my face, and I sunk in feelings. Very positive poem.

Badge, thank you for this calmly and enjoyable poem.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

I have always said that a good poem will stand up because it is good in itself. Being reminiscent of some classic form is not a requirement.

This one shines, esp. because of the magnificent idea that (her/your) "laughter (does) color my days" [forgive the slight paraphrase]. It is way beyond what a traditional tanka would dare to say, because Japanese poetry is more into symbolic statements to evoke emotion, while this is breathtakingly hidden a trope, not readily apparent untill you see what is not said.

Thanks for letting me find it.

Edited by waxwings