Poetry Magnum Opus

Read Your Villanelle

worm

last night I read your poem Villanelle.

I've fallen in love with it since first sight;

it is like a word game you play so well.

I remember my teacher called Abel

taught us rules of this poetry first time;

you never know how terribly I felt

when my mind totally went blank, but why

it is like a word game you play so well?

can I grow passions for it hard to quell ?

staring at the ceiling I mused outright;

I guess it killed a lot of my brain cells;

my brain cells killed will never revive. sigh!

the poetry really makes my head swell;

or maybe I can quit it for a while?

last night I read your poem Villanelle;

Nice work, Worm! I, myself, haven't been ambitious enough (or brave enough) to attempt one of these.

What I like about this poem is its venerating tone, how it seems to idolize the other author, to put him on a pedestal. Great concept! It's like a tribute.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Frank E Gibbard

I have seen this elsewhere and was impressed as I was by the inspirational piece that prompted it. Well done indeed. Frank

Nice work, Worm! I, myself, haven't been ambitious enough (or brave enough) to attempt one of these.

What I like about this poem is its venerating tone, how it seems to idolize the other author, to put him on a pedestal. Great concept! It's like a tribute.

Tony

Hi Tony, your words are lavish for me. it's really a great joy for me to read your comments. AV set a good example with his Villanelle, so I decided to learn from him to work out my own. He is well deserved.

Thanks for your time spent.

I have seen this elsewhere and was impressed as I was by the inspirational piece that prompted it. Well done indeed. Frank

Hi Frank, you are always behind with supportive power. my gratefulness is unspeakable.

Really a joy worm- Its own best example- playful and well crafted- Nice work!

DC&J

Dr_con, I love poetry, but I've just begun. The road is long. I'd like to learn from all of you. It's a big decision for me to put my writings to this column, this forum. I've challenged myself. Now, I'm well prepared for critiques and compliments. Thanks for commenting.

goldenlangur

Hi worm,

I am a novice in these poetical forms but I found your villanelle flowed very well. Your rhyming refrain set up in the first stanza is woven almost seamlessly into the rest of the poem. What I found particularly rewarding is how you have avoided the rhymes from dictating the meaning and enjoyment in your write. The result is that it trips off the tongue effortlessly. :D

Thank you.

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

I am a novice in these poetical forms but I found your villanelle flowed very well.

hi goldenlangur, since I'm new in poetry, I suppose my poems framed with formula will be of help. So I'd like to try some manageable forms with every possible chance.

Your rhyming refrain set up in the first stanza is woven almost seamlessly into the rest of the poem. What I found particularly rewarding is how you have avoided the rhymes from dictating the meaning and enjoyment in your write. The result is that it trips off the tongue effortlessly.

Yes, I was telling a genuine happening, so it weaves this way with the storyline. I'm glad when the tale donned in villanelle, words still work in a way poem of this form requires. I was not bothered with the build-up of the fundamental rhyming in the first stanza. I attribute this to my good luck.

Thanks golden for your careful reading.

Edited by worm