that he may be

apart from her

and so dry-

love

balloons his gut

with a swollen

Bukowski sigh.

Edited by badger11

This poem is compact, all muscle. I can sense the tension; it really packs a punch.

But Badge, what's this fine poem doing in the overflow showcase? I'd love to see it in the main member poetry showcase. Is it okay if I move it there?

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

This poem is compact, all muscle. I can sense the tension; it really packs a punch.

But Badge, what's this fine poem doing in the overflow showcase? I'd love to see it in the main member poetry showcase. Is it okay if I move it there?

Tony

Of course, you can Tony. I didn't want to overload the main forum with another recent effort. Thanks for the thumbs up as well. I wasn't sure if this one worked.

badge

Works and works well! A fitting reflection of the bucolic bard Bukowski!

DC&J

Thanks DC. Some influence from you here since I've been reading Creeley.

badge

I like to keep my e's and i's/eyes open when I'm slowly, slowly knocking them back. You should do the same. What came over you, hey, don't see the reason behind it: it adds nothing and just looks ... flash. You need vowels. What you don't need is adjectives and adverbs. Could be you're starting to see the need to slash and burn ... but these innocent little vowels are NOT the problem. Don't get angry. All right, OK, get angry, if you like. The main thing is to work out the technical problems, buck up and get better. Otherwise, what's the point?

Siochán leat, ... 5.5 vowels ( a double 'a')

D.

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

I like to keep my e's and i's/eyes open when I'm slowly, slowly knocking them back. You should do the same. What came over you, hey, don't see the reason behind it: it adds nothing and just looks ... flash. You need vowels. What you don't need is adjectives and adverbs. Could be you're starting to see the need to slash and burn ... but these innocent little vowels are NOT the problem. Don't get angry. All right, OK, get angry, if you like. The main thing is to work out the technical problems, buck up and get better. Otherwise, what's the point?

Siochán leat, ... 5.5 vowels ( a double 'a')

D.

I essentially agree Bren., it was a style made in the 1950's, but it did provoke a response and that's interesting.

cheers

badge

the wetness

beneath hr eyes

salts hs thirst,

that he may be

apart from hr

and so dry

love

balloons hs gut

with a swollen

Bukowski sigh

Unless one is a dyed in the wool afficianado of Bukowski, which I am not, the reference to him, esp. his sighs, swollen to boot, makes no impact comparable to what the lines preceding do.

I agree w/Brendan re missing vowels, although you could have, for consistency, used just "h" insteas of "he". :icon_eek:

I cannot buy poems not needing adjectives and adverbs, although being profligate with them is not the best (and you cannot be accused of that). In my book, as in those of many other contemporaries, nouns are more desirable than other parts of speech, and w/o a sufficient amount of verbs a poem is said to be static, no matter how much 'poetry' there may be in them otherwise.

The conclusion may be that nouns w/o some well chosen and appropriate adjectives and verbs, w/o ditto in adverbs, may turn out to be dry and insipid. To argue that a poem has to be bereft of any of the normal parts of speech or phraseology is to insist that prosy narrarives lacking color make poetry.

Edited by waxwings

Hi badge,

Not trying to be offensive or anything like that (as you know) -- just an off-the-cuff response: eep e owels, rop e onsonants?

Cheers, pal ;)

Bren

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

Hi badge,

Not trying to be offensive or anything like that (as you know) -- just an off-the-cuff response: eep e owels, rop e onsonants?

Cheers, pal ;)

Bren

:icon_cool:

Hi badger,

I agree this is a compact poem.

When I read hr and hs, I was expecting h as what ww said. Reminds me of dr_con's he sd, I sd...

I only read one poem from Bukowski "so you want to be a writer? "

So I couldn't draw anything from the name's reference. I know it is my fault not the writer's.

Bukowsky is a controversial writer, so is the use of hr and hs, I guess.

All the best,

Lake

Edited by Lake

Thanks Lake. There are so many writers, poets, styles and the more I read the more I realise there's no need to be stifled.

badge

Larsen M. Callirhoe

what a thirst quenching poem. this was enjoyable read.

victor

Larsen M. Callirhoe

• 2 weeks later...

Badge, this poem flows so well in my mind, and this is why I love poetry, because of poems like this one. I loved the S1 and the last part - swollen Bukowski sigh, shows this poem as a profound creation. I like Bukowski, especially I like when he writes:

as the poems go into the thousands you

realize that you've created very

little.

As the Poems Go - Charles Bukowski

Your poem is wonderful, Badge.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

Badge, this poem flows so well in my mind, and this is why I love poetry, because of poems like this one. I loved the S1 and the last part - swollen Bukowski sigh, shows this poem as a profound creation. I like Bukowski, especially I like when he writes:

as the poems go into the thousands you

realize that you've created very

little.

As the Poems Go - Charles Bukowski

Your poem is wonderful, Badge.

Aleksandra

A lovely response Aleks. Made the effort of the write all the more worthwhile.

badge :mellow:

badger this is different for you. I like that! Nice to see you spreading your wings. The bukowski reference in this is fine and doesn't confuse the reader at all. What you are saying here is quite obvious and easily relatable to the reader. Well done!

• 2 months later...

google was just looking at this today, and so I took that as a sign, and decided to peek in and see too- and the thread is not too that-old

wow, I really like this

yes, and "bukowski sigh" is perfect for the finish

glad I saw it

google was just looking at this today, and so I took that as a sign, and decided to peek in and see too- and the thread is not too that-old

wow, I really like this

yes, and "bukowski sigh" is perfect for the finish

glad I saw it

thanks for resurrecting Rumi, pleased the finish worked for you!

cheers

badge