the violet of bruised hand

name on the tag in black.

Measured beat by beat

on the Endocardiogram,

in ticks and notes on charts

at the foot of the bed.

Slowly thoughts empty …

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Hi GL, This poem is really quite cleverly written, moving smoothly from nature to a medical drama, which was surprising. I liked this poem's progression and content very much. And as usual your imagery is crystal clear.

I do wonder about these line:

Against the white sheet

They sound terse to my ears and I don't think they were meant to be terse. I understand you are compacting your images and eliminating all unnecessary words but to my ear an article or 2 would make the read more fluid. "a" or "the" before "bruised" and/or "name" would be a simple fix for the rhythm. This is just my perspective.

I like the direction you are going with your writing. ~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

and I really like the title for what the poem is after--

so, as Tink is mentioning, here is the surprising transition from nature to medical

ice on the roof …

drip, drip, drip

blood and saline

down clear long tubes.

the long tubes could well be gutters off of the roof, couldnt they? clever transition, this...

I find I wish for a line or three more, making the transition a bit deeper, less abrupt still-- but I am fascinated by the piece, quite

nice, GL

Against the white sheet

They sound terse to my ears and I don't think they were meant to be terse. I understand you are compacting your images and eliminating all unnecessary words but to my ear an article or 2 would make the read more fluid. "a" or "the" before "bruised" and/or "name" would be a simple fix for the rhythm. This is just my perspective.

Thank you for highlighting this point. Perhaps an article before the 'bruised' will smooth the beat in this. I am grateful for something to reconsider in this.

I like the direction you are going with your writing.

Appreciate your encouragement. :D

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

the long tubes could well be gutters off of the roof, couldnt they? clever transition, this...

This brings a big :) I must admit I haven't seen clear tubes used for gutters in our parts. I was hoping more for the dripping of the ice and the blood and saline comparison.

I find I wish for a line or three more, making the transition a bit deeper, less abrupt still--

Would you mind elaborating this a little?

but I am fascinated by the piece, quite

nice, GL

Thank you, rumisong. :)

goldenlangur

This brings a big :) I must admit I haven't seen clear tubes used for gutters in our parts. I was hoping more for the dripping of the ice and the blood and saline comparison.

no, there are no clear gutters here either-- I wasnt meaning what I was seeing to be that literal, but still a "help" in the transition from nature/architecture to medical/body --tubes, clear tubes, same difference, right? no-- not right... of course...

I find I wish for a line or three more, making the transition a bit deeper, less abrupt still--

not sure I can today-- that was my thought yesterday...

no, I see Im over thinking it-- Ill read it again tomorrow, and see again, ok?

Hi Golden,

The big compliment from me in reading this poem is the rhythm, the beat I hear from reading it aloud. It has 2-3 beat lines in it, at least to my ear. Others may hear it differently.

And the pivotal line of " drip, drip, drip" is another I like, it could be the drip of melting snow or the drip of blood and saline.

Enjoyed,

Lake

Golden, there are certain works -- movies, poems, etc. -- which make an impact on me. I absorb them once, then set them aside, knowing that they're there, that I can take them in again, but I probably won't. This poem might be one of them. It's like the movie "Passion of the Christ," which I have in the DVD library but haven't been able to watch more than once. And then there's the letter my mother wrote to our veterinarian around three years ago when our dog died, detailing her final days :(( -- I haven't been able to bring myself to read that one, but I suppose that someday I will. Still, I wonder how you could bring yourself to write this ... I know I couldn't have.

I, too, appreciate and admire the transition from the outside condition(s) to the hospital room. And the last line has such an intense feeling of finality, silence, loneness, of left behind ...

Thank you for having the courage to reflect and to take us there. Thank you for this poem.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

not sure I can today-- that was my thought yesterday...

no, I see Im over thinking it-- Ill read it again tomorrow, and see again, ok?

I didn't understand what your remark meant and wondered if you made it more explicit I would have something to work on. But not to worry if that thought has now gone.

Thank you all the same for revisiting.

goldenlangur

Hi Lake,

I can't tell you how delighted I am by your reading and response to the beat in the poem:

The big compliment from me in reading this poem is the rhythm, the beat I hear from reading it aloud. It has 2-3 beat lines in it, at least to my ear. Others may hear it differently.

Lake

Formal rhyme schemes are quite beyond me but sonority in a poem is important and I am so glad that you picked this aspect of the piece.

I am also glad that the pivot in the line about the 'drip' works.

Thank you very much.

goldenlangur

Hi Tony,

I am touched by your thoughts here:

Golden, there are certain works -- movies, poems, etc. -- which make an impact on me. I absorb them once, then set them aside, knowing that they're there, that I can take them in again, but I probably won't. This poem might be one of them. It's like the movie "Passion of the Christ," which I have in the DVD library but haven't been able to watch more than once. And then there's the letter my mother wrote to our veterinarian around three years ago when our dog died, detailing her final days :(( -- I haven't been able to bring myself to read that one, but I suppose that someday I will.

Tony

How perceptive your reading and yes, I admit it has been quite difficult to write this:

Still, I wonder how you could bring yourself to write this ... I know I couldn't have.

... the last line has such an intense feeling of finality, silence, loneness, of left behind ...

Thank you for having the courage to reflect and to take us there. Thank you for this poem.

Supportive feedback from you and others here go a long way in healing the scars of the experience.

Thank you very much

goldenlangur

Golden. This is very powerful and very sad poem. Metaphors are not missing, as always.

The first stanza I love it. That is brilliant metaphor that opens the poem and prepare us, the readers, for something unexpected:

Hole in the cloud -

the sun greedily melts

ice on the roof …

drip, drip, drip

blood and saline

down clear long tubes.

After I read the blood and saline, your previous lines I read and understand like this: the clouds/sky is opening, to show the way to the heaven?! The sun greedily melts ice on the roof - maybe finally somebody would find peace after such pains and suffering?!...

Then it comes the real drama, that is very moving. And at the end: Slowly thoughts empty … - well, to my understanding is some real strange feeling, because I feel that there are no thoughts anymore, all is clear....

Sorry, I was thinking loud and I liked to share with you, that this poem gave some heavy sigh... Impressive poem. Thank you for sharing.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Aleksandra,

I am so glad that you cared to share your thoughts aloud and how well you express your thoughts:

... I read and understand like this: the clouds/sky is opening, to show the way to the heaven?! The sun greedily melts ice on the roof - maybe finally somebody would find peace after such pains and suffering?!...

Then it comes the real drama, that is very moving. And at the end: Slowly thoughts empty … - well, to my understanding is some real strange feeling, because I feel that there are no thoughts anymore, all is clear....

Sorry, I was thinking loud and I liked to share with you, that this poem gave some heavy sigh... Impressive poem. Thank you for sharing.

Aleksandra

Thank you very much.

goldenlangur