A world of hunger fear and need

Will conflagrate hurt and bleed;

Since the dinosaurs moved over

And man's kind trod this terrain,

Eons have passed not of clover

But a crap crop of inhuman pain.

(sorry).

Edited by Frank E Gibbard

Glass half empty, Frank? Cheer up. Refills on the way. It can't get much worse, anyway. Bound to get better. It's not the actual situation, come to think of it, it's how we deal with it. Come on, three cheers (OK, two will do) for the human spirit and ingenuity and simply seeing things through!!

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

• 2 weeks later...
Frank E Gibbard

Thanks to the respondents Bren and Tony, thanks for the positive Tony. Not that my tone should be taken as as totally negative about life's prospects. A close acquaintance the milkman (and drinking companion) died sadly on the verge of deserved retirement suddenly at New Year and I reflected upon the repetitiveness of the mordant and unfairnesses in life which never go away. Believe it or not I actually enjoyed writing the rant once started, strange person that I am. Best wishes to you, both and all @ PMO for 2011, Frank.

Edited by Frank E Gibbard

Nothing wrong with expressing how you feel in a poem Frank. It's a pretty dismal time for so many just now; some, who also perhaps, didn't appreciate what they had until it's no longer there. Hopefully Spring will bring more than just buds and birds this year. ;) Kindest regards. G.

• 3 weeks later...

Frank, you always scratch that surface and force me to look beyond. I won't say I always like doing that, because I am such a pessimist (my mother says I'm a "realist") I tend already to see and expect the worst. I believe Mom's right, realism is not a totally bad thing.

And hey, I like "crap crop".

moonqueen

Hi Frank,

Drinking buddies are the hardest to lose, sometimes. Peace and justice in the world are found only within the individual, in my thinking. Not easy, either.

Franklin/Paco

Hi Frank,

Condolences over your pal, the milkman. It seems brutally unfair to be robbed of deserved leisure and ease after a lifetime of hard work, which in the case of milkmen involves getting up very very early each morning! On the other hand, retirement might not have turned out all he had hoped for. On balance, though, he probably WOULD have enjoyed it, not least being able to sleep in until half eight or nine, some civilised hour. I hope his family get some of the benefit, anyway.

I love hearing the background to poems; it gives them an added meaning.

Best wishes,

Bren

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

Hi Frank,

I read you. The death of your friend in the New Year must be hard on you.

Not everything starts anew, afresh in a new year... that's the reality.

Best regards,

Lake