sitting by this river wanting

endless bliss and not this haunting

viciousness which is unfolding

while i wish that i was holding

to my wrists a razor ripping

through my flesh as i keep gripping

to these blades and look above

slitting in the name of love

Impeccable rhyme and meter, Ross. I read what you wrote in another topic about enjambment, but I will posit that I think you've used it effectively (perfectly!) in this work, in L2-L3.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

rosschandler
Impeccable rhyme and meter, Ross. I read what you wrote in another topic about enjambment, but I will posit that I think you've used it effectively (perfectly!) in this work, in L2-L3.

Tony

that is true i didnt even think about it. i actually bag on emjambments in alot of free verse unrhymed poetry because it just seems like the wirter is cutting a sentence off to fit in a line. alot of free verse to me is honestly nothing more than prose truncated into stanzas to seem like a poem when in fact the poem reads like a simple paragraph in a story.

however in keeping with rhyme and line structure i guess i use emjambments more than i thought. in fact this entire stanza is one grammatically correct long sentence. no need for pause in fact.

in fact this entire stanza is one grammatically correct long sentence.

Exactly. I was going to state this in my earlier reply, but figured it was too obvious. Robert Frost's "The Silken Tent" (in post #5) is the same way. So, Ross, you're in good company!

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Hello, rosschandler. I enjoyed reading this poem. The first line is nicely and very successfully linked to the last one. Wonderful.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

These comments got so interesting they bordered on the surreal and lost all connection with the poem. Unfortunately, you can't do this kind of thing whether drunk or sober, generally sober, because it raises psychological questions which have really nothing to do with the topic. I withdraw with a sweep of my cloak and my hat raised to all!

Edited by dedalus

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim