Poetry Magnum Opus

The music of poetry/Writing

abstrect-christ

abstrect-christ

What music or band inspires and keeps your written language in mental queue or gets you out of writers block?

For me it's Pink Floyd; particularly The Wall, Animals(especially), Dark Side of the Moon, and the individual song Echoes(especially)...

Then there's Tool -- in particular Aenima, Lateralus, and their individual songs Push It(live), No Quarter, and You Lied off of Salival --

The Mars Volta, particularly De-loused in the Comatorium and Frances The Mute;

select Led Zeppelin songs No Quarter, Kashmir, Achilles Last Stand, What is and What Should Never Be, Moby Dick, and the albums Led Zeppelin IV and Led Zeppelin I.

The Doors' self titled, Live in New York, L.A. Woman, Strange Days, Morrison Hotel, An American Prayer and individual songs Albinoni's Adagio in G Minor, Who Scared You?, Unknown Soldier, Love Street, Spanish Caravan, Orange County Suite, and Five to One;

what Can I say? Music that captures the power of a good opiate or offers variety is exactly what nurtures the mind in my case.

Others include:

Matthew Good's Avalanche, Hospital Music, Vancouver, Lights of Endangered Species, The Audio of Being, Underdogs, Beautiful Midnight and select songs Symbolistic White Walls, Every Name is my Name and Omissions of the Omen;

City and Color's Sometimes..., Bring Me Your Love, Little Hell and select track Happiness by the Kilowatt.

Alexisonfire's Crisis, Watch Out!, Old Crows/Young Cardinals and select track The Dead Heart;

Fear Factory's Obsolete.

and of course... Classical -- in particular select tracks The Blue Danube, Adagio, La Traviata, Ride of the Valkyrie, Ave Maria, Moonlight Sonata, Rando Alla Tuca and Liebestraum No.3 in A Flat.

Pinhead

"Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends.

There is a secret song at the center of the world, Joey, and its sound is like razors through flesh."

Joey

"I don't believe you."

Pinhead

"Oh come, you can hear its faint echo right now. I'm here to turn up the volume.

To press the stinking face of humanity into the dark blood of its own secret heart."

"There's a starving beast inside my chest
playing with me until he's bored
Then, slowly burying his tusks in my flesh
crawling his way out he rips open old wounds

When I reach for the knife placed on the bedside table
its blade reflects my determined face
to plant it in my chest
and carve a hole so deep it snaps my veins

Hollow me out, I want to feel empty"
-- "Being Able To Feel Nothing" by Oathbreaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBPy3xNwwL8

"Sky turns to a deeper grey

the sun fades by the moon

hell's come from the distant hills

tortures dreams of the doomed

and they pray, yet they prey

and they pray, still they prey"
-- "Still They Prey" by Cough

https://soundcloud.com/relapserecords/sets/cough-still-they-pray

Great topic, Jeremy. For me, music is very inspiring and helps the creative process. At first glance, I wouldn't have taken you for a Pink Floyd kind of guy, but at that same time I'm not surprised. The stuff is quality.

Music is what got me interested in poetry in the first place. Back in the early eighties, I was into the heavy metal of that day. Not all heavy metal, but specifically complex, melodic metal. It wasn't the "baby I want you" lyrics, rather it was the progressive, intellectual lyrics of groups like Rush and the classics-alluding lyrics of Iron Maiden that got me to look toward poetry. Maiden, Rush, Judas Priest, Dio, Black Sabbath, Scorpions -- all were lyrically and technically proficient. At some point I also branched out into listening to disco classics, like the BeeGees. Though I'll always love metal -- it's the only thing I like to play on my guitar -- I don't listen to it often. These days I prefer to lose myself in the ethereal, melodic sounds of vocal trance. (From time to time, I'll include some of my favorites in the vocal trance topic.)

In addition to being a lazy underachiever, I'm a wannabe writer. I say it that way, because creative writing has always come harder to me than musical improvisation. In an interview in which Clive Barker was discussing writing books versus making movies, he said, "One still values painting and writing and, of course, music, though that's an area I just look at, agog, from afar; it really is a magical activity to me, I don't know how anybody does it; it's like higher mathematics, it's just an extraordinary thing people do... and isn't it wonderful that they do," and reading that really blew my mind. That's because for me, music comes more naturally than writing. To see a prolific writer say that to him music creation is mind boggling is both inspiring and discouraging at the same time. It's inspiring because he's showing that he's a mortal being with limitations, but it's discouraging because it makes me wonder if I'm focusing on the wrong thing, writing, when perhaps I should be concentrating on music. I ran that one by a friend, and he said that there's something to be said for working to become proficient at something one chooses. As an example, he cited Van Morrison, for whom vocals didn't come easy, but who is widely viewed as being in the top tier of the art as far as vocalists are concerned. So, it seems I can quit writing and do something else that comes more naturally ... or I can work harder. :rolleyes: When I was playing guitar in my younger years, I couldn't stop. Practicing six hours a day was nothing. With writing, I put it off and put it off until I finally get the gumption to create; then I stay with it till I produce something. Perhaps more discipline is really what I need. :unsure:

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

• 2 weeks later...
abstrect-christ

lol we're all good at different types of writing -- I wasn't very good at releasing my imagination till I had the write material to bring it out of me myself and I personally have experimented a couple times with lyricism and do find it a little harder to think up since I'm used to writing in a larger more book like manner.

As for putting things off, believe me, I do it too, last time I wrote anything was a line like 3 weeks ago and my minds more geared toward watching criterion series movies at the moment... /looks at paper/ damn my attention deficit branch of disorder. Got 2 parts written and the third just isn't getting written even though it's properly stored up there.

Pinhead

"Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends.

There is a secret song at the center of the world, Joey, and its sound is like razors through flesh."

Joey

"I don't believe you."

Pinhead

"Oh come, you can hear its faint echo right now. I'm here to turn up the volume.

To press the stinking face of humanity into the dark blood of its own secret heart."

"There's a starving beast inside my chest
playing with me until he's bored
Then, slowly burying his tusks in my flesh
crawling his way out he rips open old wounds

When I reach for the knife placed on the bedside table
its blade reflects my determined face
to plant it in my chest
and carve a hole so deep it snaps my veins

Hollow me out, I want to feel empty"
-- "Being Able To Feel Nothing" by Oathbreaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBPy3xNwwL8

"Sky turns to a deeper grey

the sun fades by the moon

hell's come from the distant hills

tortures dreams of the doomed

and they pray, yet they prey

and they pray, still they prey"
-- "Still They Prey" by Cough

https://soundcloud.com/relapserecords/sets/cough-still-they-pray

• 3 weeks later...
Larsen M. Callirhoe

i started writing poetry because i was looking for my second cousin julie in june 2000 and i rehashed are fling when we reunited when i contacted her on the phone. i wrote a poem for her. a year later i was listening to the bee gees in the mental ward in cincinnati iniversity hospital. i wrote three perfect writings in 2001 may. one was a song and 2 were poems. a virus made me loose them in august 2002. so many peoples computers got fried then also. because of that song i wrote i stayed with poetry and continued writing. i listen to billy joel, elton john, barry manilow, air supply, bee gees, toad to wet sprocket, gin blossoms, led zepplin, deep purple, van halen, rush, pink flyod, skid row, journery, beatles, love type balleds, tesla, etc for inspiration to write poetry. music in general helps me write. actually christian rock-pop music helps me write when i get writers blok from bouts of depression. groups like toad to wet sprocket, gin blossoms, tesla, yes, rush, journey, dokken, metallica, van halen, U2, the carpenters, carole king, jim croce, daryl hall john oats, blondie, winger, warrant, kiss, little river band, cheap trick, blue oyster cult, bengal, sheena easton, modonna, coldplay, bob jovi, scorpions, def leppard, foreniger, john cougar mellancamp, prince, supertramp, hermes house band, disco music, boston, survivor, queensryche, guns and roses, quiet riot, twisted sister, 38 special, night ranger, poison, ratt, motely crue, ac dc, whitesnake, europe, aerosmith, europe, autograph, lita ford, white lion, slaughter, cinderalla, the ramones, lynard skinner, john dever especially, led zepplin, black sabbath, ozzy osborne, bret michaels, etccc.... lol lol...

Edited by Larsen M. Callirhoe

Larsen M. Callirhoe