and we were distracted,
forgot they were there.

I call you, but there is no answer
-- March is here.

Goodnight, sweetness ...
I don’t have rain.

Only the cold,

only the snowplows rumbling by.

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

goldenlangur

Hi Tony,

In recent weeks your work seems to have taken a darker, more melancholy but superbly nuanced tone. This poem is an excellent example of this.

Brooding and laden with images which show but don't tell and let the read see, imagine and read a whole range of possible scenarios. But the underlying wistfulness and yearning come through with impact.

How desolate "spring" seems to the narrator - its arrival heralding no change for his inner turmoil:

tonyv wrote:

-- March is here.

Goodnight, sweetness ...

I dont have rain.

Only the cold,

only the snowplows rumbling by.

The image of the last line is haunting...

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Tony, you are mastering this melancholy thing very well with those powerful imageries.

"Words are not things, and yet they are not non-things either." - Ann Lauterbach

Hi Golden,

Thank you very much for your kind words and observations. I'm especially pleased that you liked the image at the end of the poem; I like that one, too. icon_smile.gif

Unfortunately, there is no new voice. This is just more of the same old Tony. I haven't written anything new for awhile -- I can't really say it's writer's block, because I could use the prompts for inspiration icon_smile.gif (I guess I've just been busy i.e. haven't put in the time to write icon_redface.gif ) -- so I decided to recycle a couple of old ones. This one's from March of last year. I posted it then on PC.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Aleksandra

Ah yes I remembered on this one. Tony, this poem I loved. The deep emotions in this poem captures.

This part I loved:

For two days, we shared a sun

too impossible to ignore.

Our secrets were hidden

on bookshelves,

That part shows some short passion what happened in the past, and you expressed wonderful. It sounds so poetical and lovely. Yes the melancholy is present in this poem.

The poetical touches are all around this poem Tony.

-- March is here.

Goodnight, sweetness ...

I dont have rain.

Only the cold,

That part is deep and so lovely. Sounds so soft and the peace is that what I feel in that part, what makes the good end.

Very well done Tony. This poem I loved

Thank you for sharing this " Spring " poem in this early spring icon_smile.gif

BW it is March icon_wink.gif

ALeksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

Aleksandra

I came again on this march poem Tony icon_smile.gif

I really like it. Just I was reading one more time

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

No answer ! Wha Da ??!!

I love the bookshelf line......

what's on your bookshelf Tony.....

I'd like to know at least 15 books.....

cute poem......a touch sad....but mostly cute icon_sunny.png

Hi Tony,

Usually I find the short lined poems have a past tempo, but this one slows me down in reading. A melancholy melody. A winter mind in spring.

Thanks for recycling, icon_smile.gif

Lake

No answer ! Wha Da ??!!

I love the bookshelf line......

what's on your bookshelf Tony.....

I'd like to know at least 15 books.....

cute poem......a touch sad....but mostly cute icon_sunny.png

Ah, Jonathan, I could probably list at least 15 subjects like transportation (e.g. automobiles, railroads, ships), poetry, law, chess, Americana, politics, history, and so forth! icon_biggrin.png But the secrets themselves ... well, they could be hidden in plain sight or tucked away between the pages of the books. icon_lol.gif Thank you for your kind comment!

Tony icon_smile.gif

Hi Tony,

Usually I find the short lined poems have a past tempo, but this one slows me down in reading. A melancholy melody. A winter mind in spring.

Thanks for recycling, icon_smile.gif

Lake

Thank you, Lake, for your thoughtful comment!

Tony icon_smile.gif

Thank you, Aleksandra, for taking a close look at this poem. I like the end, too! icon_smile.gif

I remember when you replied to this one back on PC. I saved the thread, and I sometimes go back and re-read your words; they make me happy.

Tonyy icon_smile.gif

Hi Tony, Well I don't remember this and I am glad you reposted it, because I loved it.

A brief encounter with a lasting impact, sping in winter, winter in spring. So beautiful and so sad. Very nicely written Tony.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Hi Tony, Well I don't remember this and I am glad you reposted it, because I loved it.

A brief encounter with a lasting impact, sping in winter, winter in spring. So beautiful and so sad. Very nicely written Tony.

~~Tink

Thank you, Tinker! I love your observation about winter/spring ...

Tony icon_smile.gif

I remember this one! I really enjoyed reading it then and I love it now! Wondeful imagery and and amazing last line image!

Waiting for more good poetry....