Poetry Magnum Opus

Dancing (prose poem)

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Dancing (prose poem)

High on a stone ledge by the leaded windows, she balances, her back in an arch, tummy to the ceiling. Beside her, a painted, wooden figure marches to her steps.

Empty of paintings, photographs and calendars, the walls are awash with light.

They move to the dawn chorus and a melody of long ago.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Very vivid, musical language. It's possible to encounter poetic prose even in a newspaper, but this is more than that; it's a poem. Compact, precise -- it takes me to another world, to a moment in time. Who is this dancer? Is she young? Is she old? She is on a ledge. Is she a bird or an animal? What is the wooden figure? I know I'm asking a lot of questions, gl, but you have me thinking ...

The room is empty, lending an air of desolation. Okay, dance studios must have floor space, but the walls are bare also, and there is no mention of mirrors. Then again, the dancer is on a ledge, and at first, I thought she was outside, but where you say,

... she balances, her back in an arch, tummy to the ceiling,

I remain uncertain. Then again, I guess the sky could be metaphorically referred to as "the ceiling."

The last sentence evokes feelings of nostalgia. Imagism is my favorite type of verse, and (IMHO) this prose poem is in that realm.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

GL, I too love the cadence of this poem though in prose format. This paints to me a mock dancing of the woman in the poem.

"Words are not things, and yet they are not non-things either." - Ann Lauterbach

Aleksandra

Wow what a piece. Goldenlagur, I enjoyed with this so much. You expressed all beautiful. Tony asked many questions and thats good means that this one worked so well. I am the same but I have some thoughts in my head for some on tony's questions icon_smile.gif. I think the woman who dances may be a ballerina in arch position icon_smile.gif But still provokes me this to go deep into your prose poem what sounds as a real music.

Thank you so much for this wonderful work

Well done.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

goldenlangur

Hi Tony,

What a generous compliment you give this little piece! Thank you very much.

I've enjoyed how you ruminate on the the images. In this you've taken me to a place I had not thought of :"dance studios". It's fascinating how a reader extends and gives a piece, a significance beyond a writer's expectation.

I find your questioning most rewarding and encouraging and you picking out the sonority in this piece has made my week!

With appreciation,

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

goldenlangur

Hi JoelJosol,

"mock dancing" is a great image and I'm so pleased that you enjoyed the cadence in this.

Thank you very much.

goldenlangur

icon_smile.gif

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Hi Aleksandra,

You have no idea how much I appreciate your reading "sounds as a real music". I also love your idea of a "ballerina in arch position" - the epitome of physical grace, beauty and power. I'm very grateful that this piece "provokes" your thoughts.

Thank you so much.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

gl after reading this and the comments of others I have my own interpretation of your poem. icon_lol.gif To me it speak of shadows. Be it real or memories in time. This is such a thought provoking poem! It can be interpretated of many ways, which is I think one of its greatest strengths! Well done!

goldenlangur

Hello fader,

There you have it!:

fader wrote:
To me it speak of shadows. Be it real or memories in time.

Thank you for a great response icon_smile.gif

goldenlangur

goldenlangur