you alone appear

like a torrent washing down my face.

I let you cling to me

as if to drench my shirt

but you leave me so soon,

the sky breaking out in blue

and here I am

still soaking from you.

"Words are not things, and yet they are not non-things either." - Ann Lauterbach

Thanks, Tinks.

"Words are not things, and yet they are not non-things either." - Ann Lauterbach

Larsen M. Callirhoe

great use of metaphors. i enjoyed reading this. you need to put your poems into a book. i would buy it. you have a way with words. does it come out natural or do you ponder over what wods to use in some of your poems. mine is all natural. only a few poems did i work on for a few months.

larse

Larsen M. Callirhoe

I agree with Victor, the rain/wetness metaphor works very well. I like how you carry it all the way through to its logical conclusion at the end of the poem: downpour>drenched shirt>aftermath.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Thank you, Larsen and Tony.

Usually, Larsen, the image and the metaphor comes first which then dictates the diction. I write it as soonest it comes to mind. Then, revise it later if I or others like feedback from our community point out a weakness.

To borrow from Auden, I don't change the feeling or thought just the language chosen to say it.

Frank E Gibbard

Good central image Joel well maintained throughout. Frank

goldenlangur

Hi JoelJosol,

There's a strong erotic current in this poem and the images of the "downpour/torrent /soaking" all enhance this sensuality.

The only nit is the image of the "drenched shirt" - I find it a bit cliched. An alternative - "drenched sheet"? But I could be mistaken in my reading. Do ignore my remark as you see fit.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Hi GL. Thanks for the feedback, I have revised that part and will reflect it here.

Aleksandra

Wonderful metaphorical poem and very good usage of all metaphors and imageries. This poem works so well and the feelings comes one by another woven in a nice verses.

Much enjoyed Joel

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

Happy to hear that, Aleksandra.

I tweaked the first couplet to provide clarity to "colors".

Edited by JoelJosol