of its small buoys

whose pleasure craft now wrestle

with the muddy riverbed--

the empty reservoirs

and hose-pipe bans--

the parched duck ponds--

and how we prayed for rain

David W. Parsley

Benjamin, I really like the images here: "church of sky", "ravaged lumps of trees", "parched duck ponds", etc. I wonder how it would read without the fifth line, just declare with poet authority the backward flight.

Nice!

- Dave

Thanks for your input Dave. I mulled it over originally and let it stand but with hindsight-- you are right :smile: . I don't normally care too much for diary poems but the last couple of months here have been historically exceptionally wet.

I read and watched and wondered how many never see the beauty in almost everything near. Enjoyed throroughly.

Franklin

Larsen M. Callirhoe

very poetic and very deep profound notice of the beauty of nature here. thank you,.

victor

Larsen M. Callirhoe

This is excellent work. I admire the precision of observation (but might get rid of the cathedral image coming so soon after the church). The last stanza is spot-on, although - here we go again! - 'recall' in the present tense might be better.

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

Thanks Franklin and Victor for leaving comment.

Brendan. Your keen poetic eye is appreciated. It has a broader 'feel' without the cathedral image. I'd originally used "recall" instead of "recalled" but what the he**. I'm flying backwards like the gulls . :biggrin:

You know you may be in trouble when your airspeed is 250 and your groundspeed is less than zero. Fascinating image that can be a metaphor for many things in life. I like going back to your poems, always seeing something new or with a different slant.

Frank E Gibbard

Picturesque scene-setting I liked, courtesy of outrageous weather. Noticed an "it's" has floated in unwanted. Frank

Aleksandra

Hello, Benjamin. I like your poem, as well. I liked the expressions that you've used. But one thing that I don't really like, and sometime it gives me hard time to read it, is a poem without any punctuation. I am not saying it's a bad thing, but for me, with English as a second language, is really hard to feel the poem at the same time when I read it. :) I hope you understand what I want to say. But, of course, after few times reading it, it's much better.

Thanks for sharing it. :)

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

Franklin I'm pleased to know you came back to it. :smile:

Frank. Well spotted. I was going to blame the gulls for it :biggrin: -- it's-- a regular blind spot. :blink:

Aleksandra. Thank you for your comments which I appreciate.

With modern English poetry and punctuation, it's a case of "damned if you do and damned if you don't". My personal preference is for full punctuation on longer and formal pieces. :smile:

Wow, love the images Benjamin... unique yet vivid. Nicely done.. I like this kind of poetry it transports me to a particular spot at a particular moment with everything around me amplified.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

• 1 month later...