Poetry Magnum Opus

Golden Years

fdelano

Golden Years

As you age, your interest in almost everything subsides.

I find it very difficult to even read a good book.

All this a normal process, I'm sure, but it sucks.

I want to be interested in something and doing things.

I cannot.

I form poems at night and they have disappeared by morning.

I still converse with long dead loved ones, something no one

seems to understand. I still hear their laughter at my shenanigans

and their willingness to talk to me in the middle of the night.

I cannot.

Your body fails at all the things you loved to do.

Building, repairing, replacing, improving, the list goes on.

Plus, it fails to walk as before and sometimes falls down.

So what? The problem is that with grandchildren to entertain,

I cannot.

Not a rant nor regrets for life, just sorrow at being deprived

of things of youth and a different view of life. As you read

this, think of what your life will be if you live to old age.

Think of others doing almost everything for you.

I cannot.

What I mostly do now is read and appreciate and sometimes

even comment on the writings of others. I am grateful

for those that lift my spirits and mourn with those who fail.

My life now is mostly words, but how wonderful they can be.

I'll keep trying.

I like to talk a lot but rarely find anyone these days who wants to listen. :smile: My son's solution was to give me a small digital voice recorder (didn't know whether to thank him or feel as if he was telling me to shut the fuck up!) it does help to snare some of those elusive night time thoughts and it makes me feel a little less like Robert DeNiro at the end of that film "Once Upon A Time In America" Where all he wants to do is smoke opium and remember the distant past. It's not easy to accept the passing of an active life but you are quite right about how wonderful words can be so please keep on writing. Geoff

David W. Parsley

All I can say is:

Thanks, Franklin (I think),

Dave

Hmmm.. As a POV- Fan-freakiing-tastic! As a statement of truth, sure you want it to be this way? But , of course it is a well wrought perspective, that I appreciate as one of the many. I enjoyed mightily!

DC&J

Larsen M. Callirhoe

well being paralyzed makes you feel older - before your time. anyway most feel like you do. be glad you exercised in the air force -it makes you feel youbger and live longer- though maybe stress might of taken away some of the life out of you.

victor

Larsen M. Callirhoe

I appreciate the form with an assertive "I cannot" ending with the last line "I'll keep trying".

If there is such a thing as aging gracefully rather than in a haphazard manner.

"Words are not things, and yet they are not non-things either." - Ann Lauterbach

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, the rhythm and clarity with which you write tells me that you maybe slowing down, but shows me that many younger poets have a long way to go to catch up to your skill and talent. The frame of this piece totally supports the content.

It's true like you, in aging I find it harder to stir the passion that in my youth boiled over at the drop of a hat. But that doesn't mean it isn't there. I haven't lost interest, I just don't have the same interests I had in my younger days. I like to think things are subtler now. Aging allows me to think a little longer and more thoughtfully before I speak or act. That's a good thing. And yes, I think climbing into a saddle and riding a wilderness trail would now be difficult, but been there-done that. My body is slower, weaker but it so far hasn't failed me. Luckily I was blessed with good health and I can still run and climb just not as fast or as high. My new adventures are often with my grandkids and I love the magic of it.

I totally related to your 2nd stanza. I've continued to talk with my Mom since I lost her at 32. And lately I often hear the laughter and encouragement of a close friend who passed only a few months ago. Love doesn't die.

Clearly you still have it, nice writing and yes never stop trying.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Spending a pleasant hour here catching up and enjoying a re-read of your uncluttered and lucid poem. I agree with Tink. “Clearly you still have it.” G.

• 2 weeks later...

My heartfelt thanks to those who understand my rambling thoughts. I read your candor and concern with gratitude that others do understand the changes; they are different for each of us, but also very much the same. Geoff and Tink, I often think of ponds in Maine with my son in a canoe, catching and releasing a smallie with almost every cast--I even have video! The only good thing I can think of as the body fails is that the memories remain. That damn avatar pic needs to be updated; my hair has grayed slightly. I have kept the aviator's sunglasses lo these many years.

fdh