that have to be answered

by a felt-tipped pen

scrawling on plastic slate

each visit marks decline

yet the once vibrant person

whose selflessness humbles me

smiles when we exchange words

I shall weep at home

Unsure of the scene, have many questions. But the raw emotions shine through. Of course on re-reading scenes suggest themselves. Powerful work.- juris

Thanks Juris: our closest friend has MND cannot speak and is now nil by mouth. Her respiratory system is closing down along with other muscular functions and we are helpless to do anything other than make supportive noises. She cannot speak yet she is so dignified and strong. She told me that “being good friends is enough.” I wept later.

At first I thought it was a home visit by a social worker to a once-proud person who was being crushed by circumstances, but after the exchange of messages above I now understand the real situation. We may not know each other personally, Benjamin, nor can we know one another's friends, but the sympathy for these occasions is always there. Crushing sadness is a thing that happens to all of us, never mind where we live or the opinions or idiocies that drive us on. I do not know your friend, nor can you know any of mine and their particular troubles, but the bond of human empathy is strong. Please tell her some silly fuckin Irishman is saying a prayer and wishing her well. Will you do that?

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

Frank E Gibbard

Sad so sad B, hard to share such personal things. Hope it helps. Couldn't say more than bren has. Regards, Frank.

Bren. It's very much at the front of my mind at the moment which is why I posted these few lines I thank you for the kind message which I will convey.

Frank. She was a schoolteacher and retains her humour . A remarkable person. Thanks B.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

saying goodbye is so hard. just think of it this way ...you will meet again. and if you believe in nil... how would you know afterward. in my heart geoff. take it easy. in my prayers even if it is miniscule.

victor

Larsen M. Callirhoe