Poetry Magnum Opus

Hamid Ali Khan

summayya

I don't know how much the members of PMO are aware of eastern music especially classical and semi-classical music. To be honest I am very bad at foreign music but I have a great love for our local music. From Noor Jahan to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan to Amanat Ali Khan and Asad Amanat Ali Khan to Abida Parveen to Ghulam Ali to Mehdi Hasan and Pathan-e-Khan all is breath taking and there are others too. I couldn't help sharing this song of Hamid Ali Khan with you guys when I was enjoying it emensely myself.

Hamid Ali Khan belongs to the great family of music named Patiala Gharana (stylistic lineage). He is the brother of the great Amanat Ali Khan. Here is a link to Wiki to read more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ustad_Bade_Fateh_Ali_Khan

• 1 month later...
goldenlangur

Hi summayya,

I feel like a migrant bird who comes to a valley ripe with the sweetest fruits and flowers - so many wonderful and exciting topics posted in the different forums and this is one of the gems icon_biggrin.png

Nothing can quite match a real performance but thank you for this - Hamid Ali Khan sings so effortlessly and with such longing. I can imagine the spell-bound atmosphere at the venue!

The Wiki link is a bonus!

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

AAHHH! Gl you made it worth sharing! Really happy you enjoyed this.

Classics would be classics forever! They move and inspire you!

Really glad this touched you.

ps- do you understand panjabi?

Larsen M. Callirhoe

this was very good even though i didnt understand the language. he is a very good singer. the music is mesmerising. i was spellbound. so summayyah what is the name of the title in the english language. im a fan of all music but rap.

victor icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.png

Larsen M. Callirhoe

goldenlangur

Hi summayya,

The performance and the rapt audience made for a sublime moment!

summayya wrote:

yes, but no way near fluent but the lyrics you've shared here were truly moving. Perhaps more more listening like would be helpful for my meagre Panjabi!

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

this was very good even though i didnt understand the language. he is a very good singer. the music is mesmerising. i was spellbound. so summayyah what is the name of the title in the english language. im a fan of all music but rap.

victor icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.png

I am glad you enjoyed this vic. I get spellbound everytime I listen to it. Here is a very rough translation (by me icon_redface.gif ) of the Panjabi that has been sung by Hamid Ali Khan here. It is really rough just to give you an idea of what the song is about:

I can't find anyone else like you.

I would keep sitting beside you and never get tired.

Your memory haunts me and I can't sleep at night

the crow coos in the day and doesn't tell me the matter.

I would go to the beloved's door, even if (s)he throws me in a well

I have to meet you must, the day doesn't pass now!

Shiekh fullfill my prayer and the good times come

Make me meet my love; I can't bear anymore!

Hi summayya,

The performance and the rapt audience made for a sublime moment!

summayya wrote:

yes, but no way near fluent but the lyrics you've shared here were truly moving. Perhaps more more listening like would be helpful for my meagre Panjabi!

goldenlangur

Panjabi is not my langauage as well. I can't speak it fluently but I do understand it. I am really happy you enjoyed this. This kind of music and poetry really moves me!!

Here's an urdu song I was enjoying just now:

Hope you have a good time.

Aleksandra

Summayya. I loved those songs and I must say this kind of music I love I think all my life.

I am so far from this language but it sounds like the Indian language, is this one familiar with Indian? Anyway to me sounds like that and thats why I love this, because since a little girl I was watching Indian movies and I used to hear those kinds of languages and I love it. And the music too, the way of singing, the voices -- wonderful.

So I am not making any difference, but I know it's different, but anyway I love this one too - a LOT.

Thank you for sharing this. And I am happy that you like yours local music. I love ours too, the old one , we say folk music, and lot's of young people don't know anything about the tradition what brings and shows that music, and I don't agree with that. Because we must respect ourself who we are and where we come from. We should never forget that.

So I respect you for this thing now more, because you respect and love your local music.

Thanks again for sharing, it will be my pleasure to hear more.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

• 5 months later...

So Urdu, summarya. I don't know the language but the music sounds like Alex said indian.

It has a relaxing, calming feel listening to the song, including the setting, the musicians sit on the platform to perform, a homecoming feel. Enjoyed very much.

What languages do you speak summarya?

So Urdu, summarya. I don't know the language but the music sounds like Alex said indian.

It has a relaxing, calming feel listening to the song, including the setting, the musicians sit on the platform to perform, a homecoming feel. Enjoyed very much.

What languages do you speak summarya?

Well,

I am proficient with Urdu and English. But I know hindko (my parental/regional language) and pushto (our another regional language) and some of panjabi.

So basically I know a few languages but am good with none :icon_redface: but even then I tried my hand at Persian (I took classes) though I got busy with life and had to put it off for later (and later isn't some time soon :@ ) and I would like to learn Saraiki (a regional language in Panjab) and also French and Spainish. Chinese and Japanese have facsinated me from chilhood for their artistic appearances. I remember I used to take out Chinese on bits of papers and newspapers and would make out either cars and house and devils and angels out of the words. :D

ok ok I like languages :icon_redface: :D

Glad you enjoyed the music. Music is ultimate magic :D