Poetry Magnum Opus

Of the house we never bought - thankfully

dcmarti1

Frost said to write of "grief, not grievances." I hope this does not come across as angry, because it is not; and I am not.

Of the house we never bought - thankfully
Eleven months
of questionable time:
was it wasted or just misused?
Intentional or unintentional,
were we just an eager pair of
almost-thirty mouths with
no better plans?
No better plans
than for me to almost
perish both from hope and from dread?
Or, in your case, me being number five,
was I a diversion or a
novelty? (I declined
to smoke your weed.)
You still smoked weed
but finally had your
own place to juggle between rent
and alimony. Your young kids just might
have ruined our lawn when the bank
would have foreclosed after
eleven months.

Personal, bitter, revealing -- this poem's very much to my liking. I totally get where you're coming from on this one. Regret is difficult to manage. I don't have a lot, but I do have some, so I understand.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Gatekeeper

I don't find anger in this. Grief, subset of death - one of the pillars of poetry. If I were to organize mine, much would fall into this category.

from the black desert

And thank you, Tony and Gate. Amazing what the self (mind, heart, psyche, whichever) can dredge up after 21 years and force out of a pen. Or keyboard. :)

Defiant and true-I don't see much bitter or sad in this rather a momentcaptured of a lifettime of moments some bitter some sweet. Enjoyed the reflection.

DC&J

An interesting and relevant piece in which I find no anger. I believe when faced with important decisions in life (and buying a house with someone is right up there) it's better to be prudent than have the mantra of my parents era echo "you've made your bed so lay in it!" B.

As already said, I find no bitterness here, nor even the "Why me Lord?" I believe the following will present your readers to take away many varied personalizing: "No better plans/than for me to almost/ perish both from hope and from dread?" Story of our lives.

And thanks dr_con, Benjamin, and fdelano. I appreciate the three praises of defiant, relevant, and "story of our lives". Though the event was specifric to me, I was hoping that GENERAL DISAPPOINTMENT would ooze out.

Relevant. Damn, I like that comment. :)

Hey Marti, This was revealing and I did hear a little disappointment-bitterness in "was I diversion or a novelty?" but it was fleating. As you said, "eleven months". I think most of us can relate in some way to those months. Good read.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com