Poetry Magnum Opus

Relationships and Life

dansalinger

dansalinger

We don’t have a marriage or bond of the heart, just charred remains of a passionate start.

Lusting for love and deceived by desire, I buried my head and walked into the fire. With the appetite strong and my reason so weak, I don’t see it crumbling under my feet.

Now the passion has waned and the want has retired, a victim to union so uninspired. The eye starts to wander and the mind starts to stream, visions of leaving to chase down a dream. Our history’s sorted and the divisions are strong, but here with my kids is where I belong.

Soon the kids will be grown and moving away, but most of my cards are already in play. Is there a chapter of life that I’ve yet to live? Is there love left inside me, that I can summon and give?

Or can love be rekindled and leak back into life? A fairytale ending for me and my wife. The future is coming and its not far away and there's fewer tomorrows than just yesterday.

Experience tells me that feelings have range and that the pillars of life are subject to change. I can’t find a roadmap and don’t have a plan, all I can do is the best that I can.

The roadway of life can take many a turn, as the scenery changes, the lessons you learn. You choose the direction and the speed that you go, but what lies ahead you can’t possibly know. Don’t fall asleep cause you can never go back, whatever you miss forever you’ll lack. Reap what you can and set it to laughter cause at the end of the day you don’t know what will come after.

dansalinger

I remember a marriage bound at the heart, two wanderlust souls and a passionate start.

Lusting for love and deceived by desire, without trepidation I walk into the fire. With my appetite strong I continue to eat and don’t see things crumbling under my feet.

Now that passion has waned, the want has retired, a victim to union so uninspired. The eye starts to wander and the mind starts to dream, visions of leaving to find a new team. Our history’s sorted and the divisions are strong, but one look at the kids and I know I belong.

Soon the kids will be grown and moving away, but most of my cards are already in play. Is there a chapter of life that I’ve yet to live? Is there love left inside, that I can summon and give?

Or can old love be rekindled and leak back into life? A fairytale ending for me and my wife. The future is coming and its not far away, there are fewer tomorrow’s than just yesterday.

Experience tells me that feelings have range and that the pillars of life are subject to change. I can’t find a roadmap and don’t have a plan, all I can do is the best that I can.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dan, This piece seems to be the counterpart to the poem you posted in the reply section, possibly from a much earlier time. I am making assumptions here and I know I am coming late to this post but I was touched by this poem and wanted to comment.

I read this as a prose poem with rhyme which is unique. It seems a very personal reflection, almost a rhymed journal entry. I think if it were mine, I would attempt to make a little more use of the white around the lines to give the thoughts more focus. Something like:

We don’t have a marriage or bond of the heart, just charred remains of a passionate start. Lusting for love and deceived by desire, I buried my head and walked into the fire. With the appetite strong and my reason so weak, I don’t see it crumbling under my feet.

Now the passion has waned and the want has retired, a victim to union so uninspired. The eye starts to wander and the mind starts to stream, visions of leaving to chase down a dream. Our history’s sorted and the divisions are strong, but here with my kids is where I belong.

Soon the kids will be grown and moving away, but most of my cards are already in play. Is there a chapter of life that I’ve yet to live? Is there love left inside me, that I can summon and give? Or can love be rekindled and leak back into life? A fairytale ending for me and my wife.

The future is coming and its not far away and there's fewer tomorrows than just yesterday. Experience tells me that feelings have range and that the pillars of life are subject to change. I can’t find a roadmap and don’t have a plan, all I can do is the best that I can.

The roadway of life can take many a turn, as the scenery changes, the lessons you learn. You choose the direction and the speed that you go, but what lies ahead you can’t possibly know. Don’t fall asleep cause you can never go back, whatever you miss forever you’ll lack. Reap what you can and set it to laughter cause at the end of the day you don’t know what will come after.

This was just an idea....

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com