I might just end up in her dress.
But with a pen I could disjoint
A rhyme in which I claim duress.

"There is no maid for me to save!"
Will be my most lamenting cry.
I'll take my secret to the grave:
The poem shall be just a lie.

February 2013

The rhyme in stanzas 2, 3, and 4 are not authentic to retourne. I just wanted to experiment after getting the first stanza written.

Oh, I make no claim to sainthood despite the clerical garb. I am what I am.

Hmmm. I'm reminded of a movie some years ago when gays were not covered under civil rights. "The Gay Blade," I think was the title. One of the very best movies, to me, was "The Birdcage," superbly acted with Robin Williams. My best friend and walking partner and editor stayed in the social closet, even though all of his friends knew. He was a celebrity in this small town, managing editor of the local bugle for thirty years. My mentor, for whom I wrote "Across the River and Through the Trees." I will always be in his debt. Oh, forgot--I'm a heterosexual, Caucasian male, but only my age gets me a discount. Like you and Popeye, "I yam what I yam." Oh yeah, I liked the humor and attitude of the poem, and laughed out loud at "I've got my chicken I can choke." I'm calling PETA, pun intended.

One of the very best movies, to me, was "The Birdcage," superbly acted with Robin Williams.

I remember my parents absolutely loved the original French version of the movie.

I am glad you got a laugh. I will be on pins & needles, watching for the PETA police.

Chuckled through. A celebratory piece, with a hint of self depreciation. Interestingly, during the time of writing about 'courtly love' 'being gay,' had not been subjected to the puritanical judgement it has adopted here in the US or other places the christian taint has spread. So indeed no maid to save, but what of the dashing page? ;-)

Enjoyed!

Juris

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Marti, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, you had me smiling from the first line. And I thought it clever to incorporate rhyme into the manner you chose... I love that you find a way to take ancient forms and make them sound modern and fresh.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Hi Marti, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, you had me smiling from the first line. And I thought it clever to incorporate rhyme into the manner you chose... I love that you find a way to take ancient forms and make them sound modern and fresh.

~~Tink

Awww, shucks. Really, thank you for the encouraging comment. I am glad you smiled.

Loved the format and the not too self-deprecating humour. It's light , fresh and matter of fact. The key perhaps to open a few closed minds. :smile: G.

Loved the format and the not too self-deprecating humour. It's light , fresh and matter of fact. The key perhaps to open a few closed minds. :smile: G.

Opening up minds.....would that were so, and hearts as well.