Poetry Magnum Opus

Vieillissement

dcmarti1

I am faced with having to sell my DC condo and move back to Southeast Texas for some family reasons. I am suddenly and painfully aware of this compleat change in my life by having to go back.

----------

Vieillissement

It is Saturday night in East Texas
And I'll be with Mary, Bob, and Carol.
Since I have already served at The Mass,
The night might bring me Bela or Boris.
I am nine and we still have black & white:
The antenna is at least twelve feet tall.
I'll have Count Chocula the next morning
And then I'll go swimming in the gully.
I have not yet started to cut the grass,
or to wash the car, or to do laundry;
I'll just make more memories to forget.

---------

Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, Carol Burnett

Seems you were a pampered child--not to say you wore Pampers. ;) I loved those shows with talented actors who never seemed to be acting. All were comedic geniuses. How the world has changed. Thanks for the nostalgic trip.

Paco

P.S. Now here's an appropriate brand(y) name: Courvoisier Erte Vieillissement Cognac - Bottle 4

Vieillissement (Aging), launched in 1991, symbolizes the aging process as a robed female emerging from darkness, displaying a series of oak barrels through parted robes.

fdh

The sadness of: "I'll just make more memories to forget." Is poignant and beautiful, and in that one line the aging process is singularly defined. A truly exceptional piece.

Juris

The sadness of: "I'll just make more memories to forget." Is poignant and beautiful, and in that one line the aging process is singularly defined. A truly exceptional piece.

Juris

Thanks, Juris. This is the first time I tried to be clever (I hope so). I wrote it to sound almost ambiguous: did I write it at age 9 looking forward, or did I write it now looking backward? Glad you enjoyed.

Never been to Texas but for some reason your poem caused me to recall the sombre mood of "The Last Picture Show" rather than that song "All my ex's live in Texas!" :-) I'm sure it's a wonderful place and I wish you well. B.

I'm sure it's a wonderful place and I wish you well. B.

At least I get along with my family, so that aspect will be fine. It will be economics that must be overcome.....Perhaps I'll just sell a book of poems! :)

Thanks, B. Hope you are well.

Excellent evocation of another time, with each line and word in place. Good luck with the move!

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

Thank you for the good luck, and for reading & compliment.

David W. Parsley

Life comes at us fast and unexpected, doesn't it? I wish you well in Texas, dc, with no uninivited Karloffs or Lugosis bumping in the night. May it all be Marys, Bobs, and Carols! Nice poem done while in the midst of the situation - something I am rarely able to do.

Compliments and Well Wishes!

- Dave

• 1 month later...

.....and reminds me a lot of a favorite poem, "1926," by Weldon Kees.

Tony

Read the Kees' poem. I don't know why but it immediately struck me as eerie and dreadful - as is FULL OF DREAD, not dreadfully written! :)