Poetry Magnum Opus

Like I Would Want You To (1993)

dcmarti1

A paean to long-haired poet Gavin Dillard

It hurts most on

spectral evenings, watching

traces of red fade into

yellow, orange, purple,

colouring the already portentous clouds.

It also hurts after

laundry, when sheets are warm

and crackling with static,

folding towels only I will use.

It is best when I hold

your poetry in my hands,

like you would hold me:

like I would want you to.

It's more than a paean, Marti. There's longing that could easily afflict one who suffers an unrequited love.

I especially like the mood set by "spectral evenings," "portentous clouds," and how the last line kind of makes what I said in the paragraph above official. I also liked the dedication. I googled Dillard and some images of him. The long hair must have been back in 1993.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

It's more than a paean, Marti. There's longing that could easily afflict one who suffers an unrequited love.

I especially like the mood set by "spectral evenings," "portentous clouds," and how the last line kind of makes what I said in the paragraph above official. I also liked the dedication. I googled Dillard and some images of him. The long hair must have been back in 1993.

Tony

Oh, WAY before 1993. :)

Larsen M. Callirhoe

this is very beautiful marti. one of the more beautiful poems that I have ever come across and read. I read this twice and I am aww struck at the poetic majestically written word arrangement. exalt and then some. and, this is more then a paean my friend.

really enjoyed reading this eye-candy treat.

victor

Larsen M. Callirhoe

this is very beautiful marti. one of the more beautiful poems that I have ever come across and read. I read this twice and I am aww struck at the poetic majestically written word arrangement. exalt and then some. and, this is more then a paean my friend.

really enjoyed reading this eye-candy treat.

victor

And I thank you for the comment. Mmm, flattery will get you.....everywhere! ;)

Just lovely. A fantastic love poem. A treasurable gem to be sure;-)

Juris

All these str8 doodz liking gay poems! Maybe we CAN all get along! :)

Well, love is, isn't it?

I might well have written this about a dearly departed poetess I knew.

Wouldn't have needed to change a word, only the name in the dedication.

We are all lonely. It comes with the territory.

from the black desert

Wouldn't have needed to change a word.

I am glad it resonated with you. And thanks.

I just made a joke to my partner looking at the netflix queue ' I have a predominance of queer films maybe I'm trying to tell you something.' But seriously, they are far grittier and real about love than the straight romance pablum.

Besides I lived in SF for 25 years, and you are making several assumptions;-)

Juris (whose been called by @ least one X -the straightest gay man she's ever met)

marti, I sense no emphasis on any sexual orientation in this. Hurt is hurt, loneliness is loneliness... I like this very much and anyone who has ever cared for another certainly would, as well.

"It also hurts after

laundry, when sheets are warm

and crackling with static,

folding towels only I will use."

Post laundry, its scent, the sheets we shared, it was a tough time for me.

mq

getting settled, yet? I know this was tough for you, but who knows what the morrow may bring ?

getting settled, yet? I know this was tough for you, but who knows what the morrow may bring ?

Perhaps not so much settled as resigned. At least my mom (and other family) and I get along, but I have not been a Texan for 31 years. It will not be easy emotionally, but my Mom's needs (errands, chores, etc) are not THAT taxing. She is not bed ridden but her mobility is severely limited. I do, at least, have a job interview next week. Nothing like what I did for all that time in DC.....I just need the Texas wedding officiant certs to either supplement my much lower income, or hope I could actually DO 3 weddings/week. Or sell books on Amazon, haha. :)

Thanks for reading and enjoying.

Well written and sincere: it transcends gender and as it already has been said-- could have various applications. A feat in itself. Well done! G.

Well written and sincere: it transcends gender and as it already has been said-- could have various applications. A feat in itself. Well done! G.

I send you thanks from across the ocean!