Poetry Magnum Opus

Because you can prove it doesn’t make it True (RE: Mallarme )

dr_con

Because you can prove it doesn’t make it True (RE: Mallarme )

Logics most divine

thrown into a void absolute

ultimately unknowable

To be good at divination

one can’t believe in divination

In this praise of Dark Magics

the lies of assumptions

are revealed by silly wizards

practicing lines from books

before mirrors in dingy

shared bathrooms

where Women

learn to put

up with

Big Boy’s bad habits

calling on Big Daddy’s crib notes

now dressed in horns and tophats

thinking a fortnight out will chill

the Hanging Judge

And they tried to cast out

biology and neurology and cosmological

physics as Demons

They weren't white enough

incepted on Arabic Mathematics

They think they’ve been cursed

by the irregular lines the almost

sense the immoral algebras confounding

expectations

Exorcisms of the ordinary

to paraphrase M

Will never annul chance.

now dressed in horns and tophats

I think there is disguised & dignified insult there. :)

You do seem to be on an avant-garde bent here. Yours stanzas seem to flow from idea into new idea, even when I can't figure out what "immoral algebras" are. That "never annul chance" is mighty intriguing. It must be liberating to write these.

Now you force me to find out more about Mallarme.....other than just his name.

A few things that stand out for me ...

To be good at divination

one can’t believe in divination

I suppose that could be true for a lot things. And the part about the bathrooms --

the lies of assumptions

are revealed by silly wizards

practicing lines from books

before mirrors in dingy

shared bathrooms

where Women

learn to put

up with

Big Boy’s bad habits

-- makes me picture a scene in a rooming house. But the rest of the poem seems to be a criticism of mainstream dogma and its rejection of alternatives. Could it be that when it comes to any "proof" there has to be some axioms, some accepted "beliefs," even faith? For example, why does1+1=2? Why doesn't 1+1=11?

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Thanks DC & Tony! Excellent readings, and perfect timing. Tony in your response you answered the 'immoral algebras' question;-) Also I highly recommend Mallarme- who I have only read in translation, I'm sure the French would be far more interesting;-) He and Cezanne were close friends and are still referred to as a great collaboration between artists- pushing and prodding each other to become better artists and people. http://books.google.com/books/about/Selected_Poetry_and_Prose.html?id=h17w9p8ydQMC is a great introduction and one of my favorite lines (of his 'poem' on Hamlet ) is: Dice thrown never will annul chance. Pure imo genius- Its meaning is clear yet it is hard to articulate it!

Much appreciation for your willingness to engage in my 'Avant Garde' pieces, although I see it as part of the LANGUAGE canon, where often the deeply self referential aspects between a community of poets becomes the metaphoric 'keys.' in the case myself and my poets friend Clifford Anderson and our circles.

Juris

Frank E Gibbard

Hi DC. It has to be said by me one time. OK like so many of your more intellectual this was way above my station (mm Paddington let's say - that's a London rail one) I'll keep reading, trying, very trying for my sins. Regards thanks for reviewing my simple pieces as befits yours truly. Cheers as ever - long live PMO Tony and the sweet Alex/ Frank

Cheers Frank! And it is entirely my problem. There was (is) a small culture of poets who used obscure metaphors and self referential BS to create poems which were important to them and their ever diminishing circles, sometimes I get caught up in that folly i.e. L=A=N=G=U=A=G=E and its overall useless and more of a puzzle quest than anything else. Your poetry on the is not 'simple' it is deeply complex and often moving in varied ways. I appreciate your work and its context in the canon of poetics. On the other hand if I don't write these pieces I get caught in loops of mad drivel and become incapable of writing sanely and cleanly.

I envy anyone who effortlessly seems to achieve perfect pieces, that are intelligible and well wrought every time!

;-)

Many Thanks for your continued efforts to engage with my BS;-)

Juris

I follow the connecting threads, even when invisible ... but I can't really comment on this one. The theme, I think, is too broad, so that changes in register become offputting, even (very slightly) annoying.

I like quite lot of your writing, so please accept this comment as an observation, not a criticism.

Best wishes,

Brendan

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

No worries Brendan! I appreciate the feedback and I can see your points: Besides it is my least favorite of the current crop;-)

Much appreciation!

Juris