Poetry Magnum Opus

Primal

fdelano

Primal

Lying on soft mantle, I listen to cold rain on window panes,

drawing comfort from my cave-like walls,

like genetic memory of bear-skin snuggling with a well-fed fire

in the opening, absorbing warmth and assurance.

I relish the moment.

I like this very much. Particularly the title...your imagery also is succinct, easy on the eye and meaningful.. But mostly because I cherish the freedom that solitude of mind affords-- it has a certain warmth that appeals to me. As a young man I had a materialistic friend who used to annoy the hell out of me by saying, "you can't please everyone, so please yourself!" As I have aged however, I find his adage now suits me very well and I take great pleasure in the simplest of things. I hope you are keeping well, kindest regards, Geoff.

Thank you, Geoff. I'm pleased that my simple mind can be understood. I wrote this mentally while listening to our latest storm while trying to nap. I do believe in genetic memory--in the form of emotions--the same vein of thoughts while sheltering in caves or huts. I love to use the word 'mantle' when possible, because it can apply to so many interpretations.

I apologize to the members, without giving excuses, for my meager participation here. I do try to read and enjoy the intelligent discourse that makes me struggle mentally.

Franklin AKA Paco- This is just about pitch perfect (for such a short piece) The moment is captured,anesthetized and dare I say mounted, for all to see- It harkens back, and forward. I understand it fully (well as fully as a reader can) and can revisit it any time.

A remarkable achievement.

]Juris

like genetic memory of bear-skin snuggling with a well-fed fire

Struck me immediately. I re-watched "Quest for Fire" (the 80s flick) a few months back. 30 years later it makes me THINK instead of entertaining me. THIS did both. Loved it.

Oh, hey, Paco, I got on VA med insurance through the Affordable Care Act. Since leaving the life/job in DC for this TX interlude, it helps. Hope you are well. As always, amigo mio.....cuidate mucho.

Thank you Juris Doctor. You seem to find more in poetry than the author knew. Great perspective.

Marti, I'll have to check out "Quest for Fire," though it sounds familiar. Did we have fire in the '80s? Don't know whether to congratulate you on you insurance or offer condolences, 'nuff said. My own coverage is free for me, thanks to you tax payers. I am grateful. Oh, mas 'cha-cha' to you, amigo.

• 2 weeks later...
David W. Parsley

Hi Paco, John Berryman was reputedly fond of advising poets to "Remove all articles and conjunctions." Your poem is a good example of the clean transmission of evocative power that results from a judicious application of such guidance. The poem reflects a strain running through my own thought while experiencing the proximity of Nature, the comforts we have so carefully assembled and refined from their roots in our most "primal" shelters and tools.

Nice!

- Dave