Poetry Magnum Opus

A Speck (Spiritual content)

Tinker

It's been a long while since I've written anything.

A Speck

I am but a speck in the Universe
and I am here.
I am created in the image
of He who calls Himself I Am
and have accepted His charge.

I suck in the air of the mountains,
I gulp down the waters of their streams,
I trek the red earth
stumbling on the road of humanity
and gather support around me.
I sing a mournful song
and dance in joyful abandon

for I am a speck in the Universe.
Here I am..
                           -- Judi Van Gorder

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Good to see you writing again Tink. Certainly a poem with resonance, though personally I feel the doctrine of humility can be as destructive as pride. Tend to change my mind on 'acceptance'. Either way the poem speaks with a clear and strong voice and provokes thought.

Look forward to more!

all the best

Phil

Hi badge, Thanks for reading and commenting This was inspired by a group discussion centered on the phrase "I am". It was something I scribbled in my notes and debated whether or not to post. It's been so long since I contributed here I decided I would and it was so easy to do from my iPad.

Tink

David W. Parsley

Hi Tink, it's great to see you writing and posting again. I found the so-called humility of "speckness" on one hand to simply be an acknowledgement of physical reality: after all, Sol with its plane of satellites with their satellites and other debris, represents a speck in the Milky Way galaxy, which is a speck in the visible universe of billions of galaxies, and each of us is just a speck on the Earth (see aforementioned satellites.) But in the poem, the property of being a speck is actually treated ironically, immediately challenged through the proclamation of divine image and proceeding to the claim of sentient humanity whether weeping or rejoicing, a drinker of the Universe aware of her own participation in the All. One of my favorite and most perplexing paradoxes, I am happy to see your treatment here.

Thanks,

- Dave

David W. Parsley

Piling on, because it can't be helped. In addition to a share in Sedona-like experiences, there is also the common Mystery speaking from the bush that burned yet was not consumed, the non-plussing I Am That I Am smoldering in the pages of Hebrew scripture, a voice that claims the Universe as habitation. Here in these fourteen lines a more diminutive "I am" repeats six times in deeply personal refrains culminating not in a Universe, but in mortal simplicity, a mere speck of the Image stating without further complication that "here" only and for this moment I too am.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

very lovely poetry tinker. it packs a punch and has purpose and meaning as well. we might be a speck but we each have substance. much enjoyed....

victor

Larsen M. Callirhoe

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
abstrect-christ

existentialism with pep and pride.
nice... :-8)

Pinhead

"Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends.

There is a secret song at the center of the world, Joey, and its sound is like razors through flesh."

Joey

"I don't believe you."

Pinhead

"Oh come, you can hear its faint echo right now. I'm here to turn up the volume.

To press the stinking face of humanity into the dark blood of its own secret heart."

"There's a starving beast inside my chest
playing with me until he's bored
Then, slowly burying his tusks in my flesh
crawling his way out he rips open old wounds

When I reach for the knife placed on the bedside table
its blade reflects my determined face
to plant it in my chest
and carve a hole so deep it snaps my veins

Hollow me out, I want to feel empty"
-- "Being Able To Feel Nothing" by Oathbreaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBPy3xNwwL8

"Sky turns to a deeper grey

the sun fades by the moon

hell's come from the distant hills

tortures dreams of the doomed

and they pray, yet they prey

and they pray, still they prey"
-- "Still They Prey" by Cough

https://soundcloud.com/relapserecords/sets/cough-still-they-pray

I have read this poem repeatedly looking for its message for me. Here is what at last, I have learned: there is a struggle within between significance and insignificance. In the end£ we are, I am, you are.

I am not a subscriber to the traditional ideology of God. However I do believe that if one does subscribe to that belief then they must accept their incredible significance. Can anyone be a child of God and be insignificant?

Anyway that's what I thought. But since I don't take myself very seriously you shouldn't either.

Haha RhymeGuy, Thanks for the comments. I have to admit I don't take things as seriously as I once did either. I just happened to step out onto my deck to let the dog outside and the stars are brilliant tonight. I just stood their feeling so blessed to be that little speck in this giant universe.

~~Tink

I must have missed this one first time around. It's most apt to take a pause and count our blessings, especially in the current climate of our world. It's also said that poetry is true feeling and this is surely an honest and eloquent expression of that. Much enjoyed, Geoff.

• 2 weeks later...