Poetry Magnum Opus

Monometrics / Augmented Monometrics / Diminishing Monometrics / Reversed Monometrics / Transitive Sonnet

Tinker

Monometrics technically means the practice of writing in lines of a single metric foot. The metric pattern, the number of lines, the rhyme or no rhyme are all at the discretion of the poet.

I think
       I do
       I dance
       I love
       I write
       I am  

However at All Poetry, Walter E. Ferguson invented 3 forms he calls Monometric that either add or subtract or add and subtract a line in subsequent stanzas.  The number of metric feet in the lines is at the discretion of the poet as long as all lines are of equal length. The metric pattern used is at the discretion of the poet as long as it is consistent within the line. 

Augmented Monometrics is the invented form that starts with a couplet and the next stanza adds a line to make a tercet, the next adds a line to become a quatrain, then next stanza adds another line to make a quintain and so on.  The elements of  Augmented Monometrics are:

1. any number of stanzas at the discretion of the poet.  The poem begins with a couplet, followed by a tercet, followed by a quatrain, and so on at the discretion of the poet. Each stanza gaining a line.
  2. metric, metric pattern and length are at the discretion of the poet as long as the pattern and length remains consistent throughout the poem.
  3. rhymed, rhyme scheme mono rhymed stanzas aa bbb cccc ddddd eeeeee etc.

Diminishing Monometrics is the invented form that begins with a stanza that is one less line than the number of stanzas the poet chooses to write. Each subsequent stanza is diminished by a line until arriving at a concluding couplet. The elements of Diminishing Metrics are:

1. any number of stanzas at the discretion of the poet.  The poem begins with a stanza with 1 line more than the number of stanzas the poet chooses to write. Each subsequent stanza loses a line until ending in a concluding couplet.
  2. metric, metric pattern and length are at the discretion of the poet as long as the pattern and length remains consistent throughout the poem.
  3. rhymed, rhyme scheme mono rhymed stanzas aaaaaa bbbbb cccc ddd ee or aaaa bbb cc, depending on the number of stanzas the poet chooses to write.

Reversed Monometrics is the invented form that either begins with diminishing the number of lines in a stanza until a couplet is reached and then increases the number of lines in the stanzas until the last stanza is the same number of lines in the first stanza or begins with a couplet and increases the lines in subsequent stanzas until the poem chooses to reverse and diminishes by the one the number of line until a couplet is reached. The elements are the same as above.

Transitive Sonnet is an invented sonnet form created by Lawrence Eberhart that borrows the idea of Reversed Monometrics and fits it into a quatorzain. The elements of the Transitive Sonnet are;

1. a quatorzain made up of a couplet, a tercet, a quatrain, a tercet, a couplet in that order. (Reversed Monometric stanzaic form).
  2. metric, lines range from iambic tetrameter to iambic pentameter, syllable count allowing for feminine rhyme.
  3. rhymed, mono-rhymed pattern aa bbb cccc bbb aa. The first 7 lines in bold must be true rhyme and the last 7 lines may be near or slant rhyme at the discretion of the poet.
  4. pivot at the discretion of the poet.

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

• 1 year later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.