Poetry Magnum Opus

Present from the past

Frank E Gibbard

Frank E Gibbard

This garment still held the vestiges of she

It clothed, was in the senses sharp to he

Who clutched it to his face nostalgically.

Like Proust’s madeleines did aromatically

The presence of his betrothed came headily

From the past as if she were there presently.

Frank, I Googled and Wiki'd Proust and the cookie. I understand that there is a segment in one of his writings about the cookie, but what that connection is, I didn't get from my brief research. Thus, the allusion escapes me.

About your poem: I feel something when I read it, and that's a good thing. There seems to be nostalgia, some loss, perhaps even a lost love. I like this one, as I did your last one, for its compactness.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

goldenlangur

Hello Frank,

How well you evoke Proustian memories, that involuntary recall of things in the past set off by the 'senses' - here in your poem - the garment she wore. I love the reference to the little cakes (

madeleines

) that Proust dips into his tea and is flooded with memories of his Aunt Leonie who made such cakes.

You use gentle rhymes to enhance this nostalgic trip.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Frank E Gibbard

Frank, I Googled and Wiki'd Proust
and
the cookie.

Thanks Tony, it is very good of you to do the research and being able to relate. I feel it's only fair to say this is a work of pure imagination as a bachelor I put myself into the shoes of my subject. Frank

Frank E Gibbard
Hello Frank,

How well you evoke Proustian memories, that involuntary recall of things in the past set off by the 'senses' - here in your poem - the garment she wore. I love the reference to the little cakes (

madeleines

) that Proust dips into his tea and is flooded with memories of his Aunt Leonie who made such cakes.

You use gentle rhymes to enhance this nostalgic trip.

goldenlangur

Hello Golden. I admire your erudition and book learning. I wish I was as well read, we did Proust in French classes all I remember is the famous cake analogy as you put it so well, stirring the memories. I have had the self-same experience though disposing of my late mother's clothes, I think it might be too painful to write about the same scenario in relation to my beloved Mum. Frank

goldenlangur

Oh! You're very kind indeed, Frank.

Your reflective, melancholy poem is a beautiful tribute to your beloved mother.

Not so well versed as you in French, I read a translation of Proust and your poem touched a chord!

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Aleksandra
This garment still held the vestiges of she

It clothed, was in the senses sharp to he

Who clutched it to his face nostalgically.

Like Proust's madeleines did aromatically

The presence of his betrothed came headily

From the past as if she were there presently.

Wonderful tribute Frank. After I read that this poem is for your mom, I read again this poem, and really the poem hits. The ending two lines, are expressed in wonderful way, what brings all sense of the poem at the top.

Thank you for sharing.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia