Poetry Magnum Opus

Hold On

Tinker

Hold On

The wounds of time leave passing heartache
compassionately scarred over
by transparent fears and lessons learned.

A cheating heart, the death of a friend,
unspoken, understood, compromise,
breed scrutiny and cautious connection.

"Prove all things, hold fast that which is good." *
                                          ~~ Judi Van Gorder
*  1 Thessalonians 5:21, King James Version

A Sevenling
7 lines
Prompt: Include these words: fears, transparent, heartache, passing ,compassion, unspoken, wounds, time

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Judi, you make very nice use of prompts. The short form appeals to me also.

The content itself is moving, biblical line included. (I do appreciate the footnote.) I'm forty-seven years old, and I haven't learned a whole lot, but one thing I think I have come to learn is that in life there's not much else to "hold on" to than forgiveness. Many people are deluded into thinking that throwing money at something will fix things. It's not always the case. If I've wronged someone, money might not be able to fix it. There's only forgiveness.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Thanks Tony,  I almost felt as though the prompt word formed the poem and this piece of scripture fit.  It is a verse that I fell in love with as a teen.  It is the only quote I kept in my wallet my entire life.  I have used this same quote in a glosa I wrote a long time ago. And forgiveness is and was the biggest lesson I've had to learn.  I went years after my father's death without forgiveness. Until that time someone suggested to me that my unforgiveness for my father colored every relationship I had. With much soul searching and prayer I finally forgave him. Up to that point when I thought of him, I only flashed on the ugly experiences. So much so that I couldn't tell him I loved him while he was dying.  After forgiving him I could remember the good times, the fun times.  I will never forget the ugly times but those are not my first memories of him. I wrote a poem about it. Father-Daughter

~~Judi

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com