Poetry Magnum Opus

Audio Recording titled: SNOW STORM

bob

Snow Storm - Master2.mp3

Hello Forum members.I'm trying something new. I realize there are audio recordings of various writer's poetry created here in this forum, but In my case I am not just submitting the poem, but also a musical recording that was made of it. The song has not been made public by a musical studio; I don't think it's necessary to divulge the Why and Wherefore. The Title of the poem and recording is SNOW STORM. It was written by me as a tribute to 3 family members who drive Inter State Trucking. They make their living hauling freight across the country in all kinds of weather. It’s a dangerous, thankless job they perform. I also want to say it is meant to include all drivers who transport the necessities we take for granted, when we shop in our favorite stores for clothing, food, building supplies, and the list goes on. Something for you to think about; If it were not for truckers delivering produce and commodities we need and buy, this nation, as well as all nations, would literally come to a standstill. 

With a Thank You to Tony, for his patience with me, to put this into the forum. Tony is going to work out the process necessary to include the audio as well. I submit the Poem as it was written, so I offer you Snow Storm.

Snow Storm 
(What’s That Honey? I Love You Too.) 

Snow drifting on the highway; cold penetrating to the bone. 
Beneath a gray, dismal sky; this trucker was traveling alone. 
Wipers banging on the windshield, beyond the hood he could barely see, 
He’d been driving since early morning, now it was after three. 

He couldn’t read the exit signs, in this mess they all looked the same. 
Aw the snow was so heavy on the last one, it completely covered the name.
Cars stalled on the roadway; he passes a bogged down rig. 
"Hope my Freightliner makes it tonight, this storm is gonna’ be big."

His radio wailed a Country Western song...they spread the chatter from the CB now and then. 
Breaker Truckers they’re closing 80, don’t know when it will open again. 
A diner loomed just ahead; he saw a red flashing sign. 
"I’ll call the little woman, ’n tell her, I won’t be home by nine." 

"What’s that Honey? I love you too; hug the kids, and tuck them in tight. 
This storm is really something, I might not make it home tonight." 
By 10 P.M., the storm ran its course; the sky cleared and stars shined bright. 
Road crews bucking ten foot drifts, saw beams of a very weak light. 

The snow covered DANGEROUS CURVE; a guard rail was gaping wide. 
In the ravine some thirty feet below, a rig was laying on its side. 
"What’s that Honey? I love you too; hug the kids, and tuck them in tight. 
This storm is really a killer, and I wont be coming home tonight." 

Yeah... this storm’s a real a killer, I not coming home tonight." 

YarnSpinner 
copyright 2014

Snow Storm - Master2.mp3

IH63Van2.gif

YarnSpinner, I am beyond excited that you've shared this here! Songwriting, specifically composing and music theory, is something I wish I had formal training in, or at least knew a lot more about.

From our backchannel discussion, I think I understood that you wrote this poem (the lyrics) and had it set to music by professional musicians. It would be great if you could elaborate a bit more on how you did that, the steps you had to take in order to get it done and to secure your rights.

I'm fascinated that the musician was able to use the poem as you wrote it, that he was able to set it to music without regard to specific form. The poem reads like a ballad, and I would characterize the song as a ballad, but it's not written in typical "ballad" meter. I would love to see what a musician can do with a sonnet, or at least with some iambic pentameter. Song lyrics aren't held to the same high standards as poetry because a song has something else to carry it: the music. Therefore, most songs' lyrics can hardly stand alone as poems, even if they're they're very good, very poetic. "Snow Storm" is well composed, in every sense.

I added the mp3 audio file (in red) to your post. I encourage everyone to check it out, give it a listen and read along.

Thank you again for this topic, for sharing this undertaking, this terrific composition here at Poetry Magnum Opus.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

5 hours ago, tonyv said:

YarnSpinner, I am beyond excited that you've shared this here! Songwriting, specifically composing and music theory, is something I wish I had formal training in, or at least knew a lot more about.

From our backchannel discussion, I think I understood that you wrote this poem (the lyrics) and had it set to music by professional musicians. It would be great if you could elaborate a bit more on how you did that, the steps you had to take in order to get it done and to secure your rights.

I'm fascinated that the musician was able to use the poem as you wrote it, that he was able to set it to music without regard to specific form. The poem reads like a ballad, and I would characterize the song as a ballad, but it's not written in typical "ballad" meter. I would love to see what a musician can do with a sonnet, or at least with some iambic pentameter. Song lyrics aren't held to the same high standards as poetry because a song has something else to carry it: the music. Therefore, most songs' lyrics can hardly stand alone as poems, even if they're they're very good, very poetic. "Snow Storm" is well composed, in every sense.

I added the mp3 audio file (in red) to your post. I encourage everyone to check it out, give it a listen and read along.

Thank you again for this topic, for sharing this undertaking, this terrific composition here at Poetry Magnum Opus.

Tony

Where to begin..

Well as you have already noticed songs are basically poems. Most Country Western especially. Now I don't know how to quite explain this, (here comes an analogy)  rhythm of music added... plus syllables of  words in each line, have to work like a good team of horses; when you get to the end of a row, both should be there at the same time. I did not know this when I created the poem, but it was brought to my attention by the recording studio. I reworked this poem again and again to make reading it with rhythm, became easier each time. Speaking of poems... an average poem/song will have not much more than 38 lines.

When the recording studio gets the final composition, they have the right to rework a poem, sometimes changing a word keeping the meaning the same as what is written, possibly it will add a syllable or drop one. In doing so the writer is sent a new version indicating  what was done and is satisfied . It makes no matter what they do with the poem before recording it, the song , title, copyright, etc. belongs to the writer. These people have been in the business long enough, that melody they add to make the poem a song, comes about easy as the writer created the words. Magic happens when it's done. If after you receive a MP3 Master Disc, and you feel it is not as you had hoped, they will within reason rework their offering and try again to get your approval.

The Internet is loaded with recording studios, and that is where one has to make the right decision. There is a fee required for the initial conversion of poem to music. After that a writer has to be very care as to whether or not they want to throw more money into the "pot" for this, that and another. I realize there can be good money to be made if a well known personality decides he/she wants to "pick up the song and run with it." I decided they milked this old bull too long, so it has been setting in a file somewhere for about 2 1/2 years. 

I also wanted to ask you if when you keyed on the MP3 SNOW STORM title as it shows above the poem, does it take a while for your computer to download the song? My computer is an old one and that may be the reason for which I also put a NOTE: to indicate this is what everyone will have to do.

I'll give you a chance take a break, and can catch up with me. 

YarnSpinner