for education and bettering oneself.  
His light shone brightly
for millions across the globe. 

But everyone has a dark side,
shadows created in secret,
nourished by self doubt,
selfishness, lust or greed. 
We can reject it,
we can lock it away or we can indulge it. 

Fueled by adulation,
fame and fortune, "America's Dad"
unleashed his darkness
and allowed
it to snuff
his brilliance. 
I abhor the destruction in its wake,
I grieve the loss.
             ~~Judi Van Gorder

Bill Cosby found guilty of 4 counts of sexual assault.  Many more still in the wind. 

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

JoelJosol

The piece is like a journal of the funny man's transformation himself.

"Words are not things, and yet they are not non-things either." - Ann Lauterbach

Tinker: Regarding your post; Funny Man. (AKA Bill Cosby.) I read it over and over trying to remember a phrase. 

Actually, in your post, and  I  Quote: everyone has a dark side, shadows created in secret.

I should have realized then, where those words were recited, but a bit differently.  

A couple nights ago it came to me in my sleep. 

It's a simple statement, but has weathered throughout the years...almost forgotten by the older generation.

“Who knows what evil lurks within the hearts of men....The Shadow Knows."  

Lamont Cranston was  the Shadow; Margo Lane...was Lamont  Cranston's woman friend.

I enjoyed Cosby's humor as well as the next person. Seldom does a deceitful act go unpunished. 

It's Sad...

YarnSpinner

We didn't have TV until I was 12 years old.  Before that we would gather around the radio and listen to "The Shadow",  "Jack Benny" and "Let George Do It".   Maybe that is that subconscious influence Tony was talking about recently.   

I loved Bill Cosby, I've seen him 3 times in concert plus of course his TV career.  I was so disappointed that someone whom I admired turned out to be such a perverted predator.  I have friends that don't believe it and defend him.   Too many have come forward, a jury found him guilty.  If only 1 had come forward I might have had doubts but 36.   I am afraid I believe the worst.   Yes. so very sad.

~~Tink 

Terry L shuff

My wife and myself just didn't want to believe these women. We will always question their motives.

I know Terry,  who wants to believe such a perverted tale about someone we admire.  But the reality is, this kind of activity by powerful men is not new and  has been hidden too long.  Abused women need to be heard and the abusers made accountable.  This was not a civil trial for money, it was a criminal trial.  The standard for conviction much higher.  Cosby went from role model to creep when these women spoke up.  Why would so many have similar stories?  Why would they want to be vilified? As you said, even you and your wife question their motive not his.    Times are changing, when this happened, these women had no voice.  They were not the money makers for a whole industry as he was.  He had a lot of enablers.

~~Tink 

Terry L shuff

Yes he must be guilty. It was just to much to accept, it,s just a big disappointment. There are many sex predators, young women must be convinced of the dangers of being naive. Young people are naturally trusting. These perverts know how to win their trust.  And I believe Perverts can not be cured. The Bible says ' Perverts are Perverts form the womb '