Poetry Magnum Opus

Paradise Erupts

Tinker

Paradise Erupts

Mount Kilauea speaks with rock and fire
Hawaii's biggest island makes a noise,
new rivers flow like Pele's funeral pyre.

A paradise of graceful palms with poise,
warm sandy beaches, balmy scented air.
A wonderland, vacationers rejoice.

The climate draws adventurers to where
the sea is clear and tropical breezes call,
"explore my corral reefs, a life so rare."

Exotic hula dancers sway, enthrall,
a feast of mahi-mahi, pig and poi
delights the locals, tourists, one and all.

The island's known for fun, so pick your toy,
a surfboard, snorkel, bike or hike a trail.
A happy place to please each girl and boy.

Idyllic bliss explodes beyond the pale,
volcanic ash and fiery lava voice,
destroying foliage, structures, all in swale.

We know not who incited Pele's ire,
she's blown her ancient top on Eden's shire.
Mount Kilauea speaks with rock and fire,
new rivers flow like Pele's funeral pyre.
                                     ~~Judi Van Gorder

A Laurenelle

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Terry L shuff

Mount Kilauea has a mind of her own. We spent two weeks in Hawaii about 16 years ago. The Kilauea tour bus actually drove down into the cauldron on the road that existed at that time. We were allowed to get out and walk around.  People were hiking on the road,some riding bikes. The crust was very thick and could support the weight of limited traffic. Steam was venting at some distant locations.  We could  feel hot spots on our feet in some places. The terrain was rough and layered from various times the magma had broken through over the centuries. Now that cauldron floor has sunk more than 1'000 feet since the beginning of this cycle of activity. Our driver told us,  When I tell you , get on the bus...GET ON THE BUS. There were some 40 fellow tourists with us on that bus.

Nicely composed, Judi. The title is perfect. I was expecting something metaphysical (e.g. Paradise Lost) and got the natural, the physical. Delightful!

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

I feel the same as Tony. The natural and physical was unexpected AND delightful. And, of course, loved the form. :)

Thanks Tony, Hawaii is my border state with a few hundred miles of ocean in between. I have clients who have homes in both states and I've been there several times, on vacation and on business for Soroptimist International. 

I was a Regional Director and Hawaii was part of my Region.  I "had" to go there to conduct leadership meetings with the clubs and handle some internal problems (the Waikiki club is mostly made up of Caucasians, Polynesians, Filipinos and Chinese, pretty mixed racially while the Honolulu club which is much bigger and more powerful is almost all Japanese.  During my term the 2 clubs which are on the same island and only a few miles apart were arguing over territory and money and prestige.  Mind you these are women who have joined these clubs to give service to their communities. )  The racial divide doesn't just involve black / white / or Latino.  On the international level we were dealing with the Filipino clubs not wanting to work with the clubs in Japan.  The islands all over the Pacific still held a grudge from WWII and this was in early 1999-2000.   

But 5 trips to Hawaii paid for by someone else and getting to be part of the community, staying in homes, getting to part of the local culture, priceless.   I've been to 3 of the islands Kauai, Maui and Hawaii.  There is incredible beauty there but there are also lava fields that look like you are standing on the moon.  My friend Mel has been on the big island since the beginning of this eruption.  Her house is in the north, far from the volcano but it is an island that you can drive around in less than a day and she has gone south and seen some of the damage and the fire rivers from a distance.  It is really horrendous.

~~Judi 

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com