one of the first poems I wrote:

"The wind and the rain

may drive some people insane

but at twilight I howl

at the moon so bright"

already, choosing lunar excuses

rather than accepting solar reasons

for cruelty and blood.

this poem is just wonderful. the first stanza is so intriguing that i was instantly pulled in. you leap from childhood into the future, into memories - suddenly a tapestry is woven, tracing your associations and developing conscience and sensitivity. you wrestle with the world, how it has influenced humanity - you wrestle with yourself and how you have been influenced beneath a moon and a sun. this poem is powerfully existential - at once earthly at once cosmic - an illustration of the human condition and of our ability to perceive, remember, create and destroy.

thank you.

To receive love, you have to give it...

Aleksandra

Wonderful and hard poem Dr.con. In every verse you have a quality, powerful expression, which not so easy to write. The middle of the poem it is like a heart of the poem. And the end shows the irony which means truth in this case.

Thank you for this poem.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

Aleks, Douglas-

Thank You for your kind words, it is hard to be a poet @ the moment, or rather easy- the difficulty lies in keeping the requisite open heart in a world whose Lunacy surfaces every day and in every way icon_smile.gif

DC

Frank E Gibbard

Hey DC or shall I call you wolfman? As you know, I commented in another place already but revisiting your poem in this parallel world I deeply relate to the Gaza references having dealt with the same subject and this intigrates well with the swirl of themes you got into here. Frank

goldenlangur

Hello DC,

How wonderfully rich your poem is in its allusions to mystical traditions - Blake and Gurdjieff, to contemporary conflict interwoven childhood memories and the mythical associations of the female with the moon and the male with the sun.

It's fascinating how you juxtapose the creative lunacy of mystics like Blake and Gurdjieff with the lunacy of contemporary conflict. You suggest rightly that although man/woman have through the ages sought to explain deviations in behavior in terms of 'astral' influence, perhaps the truth lies nearer home in ourselves.

Wonderfully thought-provoking.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Dear Frank and Golden,

As always I truly appreciate your comments and am grateful that my musings inspire thought...

Many Thanks!

DC

Your poem concisely articulated the connections that Gurdjieff has espoused. The key icons of full moon, Gurdjieff, The Work, insomnia, dreams, and lunar all paint the thoughts of man in his state of "waking sleep" and the horrors he commits while in this state.

"Words are not things, and yet they are not non-things either." - Ann Lauterbach

Ahh, you are a fan of the mad Russian. I should have guessed, from your insightful forms, and clear perceptions...

Thanks JJ!

DC

A fantastic reflection, Dr. Con. The poem starts out with a concrete statement --

The full moon, irritates me

-- which adds to the effectiveness of the moon/lunacy associations that follow. I love this part:

graves, bodies piled up in the sun

no wonder I became obsessed

with Lycanthropes,

and how you used quotation marks to tie in the childhood poem:

one of the first poems I wrote:

'The wind and the rain

may drive some people insane

but at twilight I howl

at the moon so bright'

I found this to be an especially effective technique.

The painful confession in the last lines demonstrates the narrator's acute awareness of the human condition:

... already, choosing lunar excuses

rather than accepting solar reasons

for cruelty and blood.

The awareness rises to the level of personal experience.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic