something we both really wanted to see.
And then there was Hürth, in autumn -- modern
apartments leading us to Columbus Day --
but it's too late. You're a lesbian.
It's much too late for me. Really,
we are out of mind and pocket.
And all the poems, movies, and sculptures,
dedicated, not to you but me.

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

great narrative -reminds me of Bukowski

Thank you, Barry! That's high praise for two reasons: 1. coming from you, and 2. Bukowski. 😄

I was sitting around yesterday and wanted to write a poem quickly. This one was probably the fastest one I ever wrote, at 30 minutes max: fifteen minutes pen to paper, then another fifteen minutes at the keyboard, mostly just messing with line breaks. 

I had made a second topic about Robert Lowell in Favorite poets. He was proloific, and I started off wanting to emulate him. Obviously, this isn't as erudite as his work, but Bukowski ... hadn't considered that. Thank you, again.

Tony 😎

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

I was sitting around yesterday and wanted to write a poem quickly. This one was probably the fastest one I ever wrote, at 30 minutes max: fifteen minutes pen to paper, then another fifteen minutes at the keyboard, mostly just messing with line breaks. 

I'm very pleased to read this. I believe such poems don't take '30 minutes' to write, but are rather an outcome of years of living with poetry.

I've been drinking, looking at pictures
of your village. I'm an alcoholic,

That's a devastating opening.

best

Phil

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:33 PM, tonyv said:

I've been drinking, looking at pictures
of your village. I'm an alcoholic,

Hi Tony,  I agree with Badger, this opening numbed me.  I didn't want to respond to it.  It hurt just to read it.  I know, I am not to assume the poet is the narrator but it sounds so honest.  I wanted to cry.

15 hours ago, badger11 said:

I believe such poems don't take '30 minutes' to write, but are rather an outcome of years of living with poetry.

And I agree again with Badge, and think his quote above is genius as is your poem.

~~Judi

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

18 hours ago, badger11 said:

I'm very pleased to read this. I believe such poems don't take '30 minutes' to write, but are rather an outcome of years of living with poetry.

Phil, I'm super excited to read your thoughts on this. I didn't think anyone would like or be enthusiastic about this poem, nor had I considered the possibility that its source could be a wellspring. Thank you for your encouraging reply.

Tony

3 hours ago, Tinker said:

Hi Tony,  I agree with Badger, this opening numbed me.  I didn't want to respond to it.  It hurt just to read it.  I know, I am not to assume the poet is the narrator but it sounds so honest.  I wanted to cry. 

Judi, I'm sorry I didn't mean to cause anxiety or alarm. When it comes to seemingly autobiographical elements, to the fact to fiction ratio in the literal or metaphorical, please be assured that I personally am okay. Thank you for your kindness, for your considerate reply.

Tony :happy:

• 2 weeks later...
David W. Parsley

Tony, I don't know whom you are channeling here, or where the sternum-pricking details came from, but something issued from the wellspring that is very convincing.  My response was a lot like badger's and tink's, pretty emotional.  And I love what eclipse had to say about comparisons to Bukowski and the narrative pulse of the thing (Barry, give us more of this!).  To think that all this drama came from a series of innocuous images and those devastating concluding five lines.  Wow.

So moved was I, that I decide to look into Kingston and Hurth.  And came up empty.  Would you mind elucidating?  Inquiring minds want to know, if you are able to share.  (I know: not autobiographical at all...)

Thanks (I think!),

- Dave

Thank you Dave, very much, for your thoughtful observations and remarks.

35 minutes ago, David W. Parsley said:

(Barry, give us more of this!)

I agree with this, @eclipse! It was like the dopamine high one might get after getting a LIKE on Instagram! 😄

35 minutes ago, David W. Parsley said:

I decide to look into Kingston and Hurth.  And came up empty.  Would you mind elucidating?

Kingston is just a small town about thirty minutes by car from the town where I grew up. I remember heading there on Friday or Saturday nights back in the mid/late '80s when I had just gotten my driver's license and a new big shopping mall had been built there. It had a great food court, and of course, a movie theater. I might have gone on some dates there during that era. 😎 Thus, it was just a thought back to some happy times growing up. 😎

As for Hürth, there's no connection. It happens to be a town in the vicinity of Cologne, Germany which I happened to look up online for some extraneous reason. I was in Google image and found one that appealed me for some reason. 

Thanks again ... I don't mind elaborating at all!

Picture I found in Google Image search for Hürth/Cologne, Germany. It's in my folder of images that have some meaning for me, that perhaps inspire me in various ways:

Hürth-apartments.jpg

David W. Parsley

Thanks, that helps alleviate lingering concerns (despite your protests ;-).  Buddy, I gotta say, you really pulled off a prize winning uppercut on a few of us here.  I'm getting up off the floor now, but this poem will stick with me for a while.

Well Done!

- Dave

Indeed. I agree with all of the above. Great opening line -- A crystal clear (To my mind) image, a certain submission too rather than resistance of fate -- What am I trying to say? Their is a bitterness but the same bitterness one learns to enjoy in scotch or a good hoppy beer - the response of a connoisseur rather than a victim - I was going to debate the Bukowski comparison, but with that insight, I completely agree with Barry.

Juris

On 7/21/2019 at 3:11 PM, David W. Parsley said:

Thanks, that helps alleviate lingering concerns (despite your protests ;-).  Buddy, I gotta say, you really pulled off a prize winning uppercut on a few of us here.  I'm getting up off the floor now, but this poem will stick with me for a while.

Well Done!

- Dave

Thank you again, Dave. I'm elated by how well received this poem has been.

Tony 😎

On 7/23/2019 at 8:20 AM, dr_con said:

Indeed. I agree with all of the above. Great opening line -- A crystal clear (To my mind) image, a certain submission too rather than resistance of fate -- What am I trying to say? Their is a bitterness but the same bitterness one learns to enjoy in scotch or a good hoppy beer - the response of a connoisseur rather than a victim - I was going to debate the Bukowski comparison, but with that insight, I completely agree with Barry.

Juris

[emphasis mine]

And this, Juris, is right on with where I, myself, am when it comes to this poem. Thank you very much.