Ups and Downs

Sunday, a day of gratitude and rest,
I bend a knee and praise my creator.
Grateful servant trying to do my best.
I attempt to be His imitator,
too often defer the dance 'til later.
I am the bumble, stumble, everyman,
standing back up, doing the most I can
then it's down to the floor I fall once more.
I often two-step when waltz was the plan,
by grace He forgives and doesn't keep score.                                                   
                             ~~Judi Van Gorder

Warming Trend

Though the calendar says time's up,
summer is not ready to go.
Don't expect it to be abrupt,
the season waning will be slow.
My garden continues to grow
yielding bounty for my table.
The return of fall a label
to buy woolens for new school year.
Weather has become unstable,
oppressive heat stays on I fear.
                               ~Judi Van Gorder

Playing with Verse Form: Dizain

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Judi, first, lets address "Ups and Downs." You're calling it a Dizain. I'm not even gonna click on the form. I'm calling it a sonnet, as I do with every short lyrical poem that's to my liking. This is very good, honest. The speaker is a straight shooter, the "everyman." And if there's only one thing I think I've learned in life, it's that, "... by grace He forgives and doesn't keep score." I think a lot of people go through life thinking that everything can be fixed, by money or whatnot. It's a symptom of mankind's arrogance; there are things that can't be fixed by mankind, his money, his technology, or his science, etc. In those cases there can be only contrition ... and forgiveness. Thank you for this.

Now, as for "Warming Trend," yes. Summer is not officially over. There are some warm days ahead, but I've felt the chill of autumn (and winter) in the air. It's not unwelcome, it's exciting.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Thanks Tony,  Ups and Downs was written this morning after I decided to not go to mass but stay home and write.  😇    Warming Trends was from a prompt to write a summer's end poem which is hard to do when it is 90 outside.  

Not a sonnet, there are only 10 lines turned on only 3 rhymes,  an old French form, from the Ballade family of forms.  The syllable count can be 10 or 8 syllable lines, when 10 the lines tend to be iambic pentameter.   Ups and Downs has 10 syllable lines, Warming Trends has 8 syllable lines.

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

1 minute ago, Tinker said:

Not a sonnet, there are only 10 lines turned on only 3 rhymes,  an old French form, from the Ballade family of forms.  The syllable count can be 10 or 8 syllable lines, when 10 the lines tend to be iambic pentameter.   Ups and Downs has 10 syllable lines, Warming Trends has 8 syllable lines.

Judi, I know. I make it up as I go along. 🌞

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

David W. Parsley

Hi Judi,

Please keep up the warming trend.  Indian summer is a good time to produce bounty and reflect at the same time.

Blessings,
 - Dave