Poetry Magnum Opus

This man

JoelJosol

These punctures on the head, blood, dried, masked his face,

was pierced by mockery and thousand insults weaved

like spikes in thorn branches, his crown for his head.

This skin, these lesions, sank death closer to the bones.

These bruises came from lies so wicked enveloped in fists

whose blows spared neither body nor limbs.

This back, disfigured, lacerated, and torn open

by sheep bones of hate. Each clawed itself into skin,

into flesh with every flagellum's whip.

These ribs, this open fissure, jabbed deep by a spear,

poured forth water of forgiveness, streaming

to cleanse an earth, blood-soaked.

His time of death-

3 pm, Friday.

"Words are not things, and yet they are not non-things either." - Ann Lauterbach

Larsen M. Callirhoe

loved the poem. i wonder if atheists could figure out who you are talking about lol. this is really good joel. i was going to ask if i could post the link to this poem and forum on another forum that is slow. today after all is good friday. i really wonder why they call it that since he died an it became darker than night onsight in the middle later part of the day. the sun was shining bright and evil and wicked spirits thought they coud encompense mankind lol. this is one of the best poems i have ever read on this subject. well done mate.

victor

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Well done JJ! I appreciate the fluidity and horror of this, while portraying the beautiful and deep structures that underlie the ideas of sacrafice, and suffering. Very human, very powerful This Man- and the Time of Death, clinical coroners comment, a concise and chilling last stanza.

Very much enjoyed!

Many Thanks-

DC

oh no! I completely missed that metaphor DC- the coroners commentary - on Good Friday!!!

Excellent - yes, now that that read of this has been pointed out to me, I can read it much better than I was- and I LOVE it!

sorry to be so slow on the uptake Joel, this is great!

Hi Joel, I love this, perfectly presented and concrete. A great meditation without getting preachy... Thank you for the reminder, it is Good Friday and you have put my mind where it should be at the start of this day. I do plan to attend services today but all too often, I put spiritual thoughts aside until I am inside the church... Your poem reminded me it isn't the church but "this Man" I should be connecting with. Wish I wrote your poem, time to do a little meditating of my own and your poem is the perfect springboard. Thanks.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

I lack knowledge on this subject so victor is right by saying "i wonder if atheists could figure out who you are talking about". After reading other's comments, now I know. It's chilling, all I can say is I can never write a poem like this. So very much admired. I just noticed that except the last stanza, the four stanzas start either with "these" or "this", an indication, isn't it?

Thanks for the read today.

Lake

Guys - Victor, DrC, Tink, Rumisong, and Lake - thank you for allowing the poem inspire you to think about the season.

"Words are not things, and yet they are not non-things either." - Ann Lauterbach

This reminds me of the the movie The Passion, Joel. Gritty and unsanitized gives way to the sublime. A very well done occasional poem.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Thanks, Tony.

Aleksandra

Wonderful poem Joel. You expressed the moment of suffering on so good way. It's really a poem of the season. Here the Easter just starts.

Thanks for sharing.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia