Poetry Magnum Opus

Clerihew after Frank

Lake

(Since Tinker said, it's hard to go wrong with it. I'll have a go.)

American poet Robert Frost,

whose two roads diverged in a forest.

Someone taunted him, “You write on subjects”,

“You write bric-a-brac”, said he, with respect.

Hi Lake, icon_smile.gif Structurally you did not go wrong... Although the point of the Clerihew is to mock or make fun of the subject of the poem. You are way too nice. To write the Clerihew you have to get a little mean. You kind of turn the axis and have Frost mocking his critics... which is an interesting take, but I probably wouldn't put in the Clerihew category. I am glad you gave this a try anyway.

I know you are open to learning these things so here is a note on rhyme:

Your poetry normally doesn't attempt rhyme and I think your command of English is amazing but to write in rhyme there are a few guidelines of which you are probably unaware. (As a matter of fact many native English writers have difficulty with correct rhyme.) In English, rhyme is between the last stressed vowel and all consonants following. Rhyme is about sound not sight. Therefore Frost would rhyme with lost or bossed but not forest. Forest rhymes with florist or poorest. (and a purist could even say those two words don't rhyme because there is a slight difference in sound between for and poor... but it is close enough for my ear.)

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Tinker wrote: You are way too nice. To write the Clerihew you have to get a little mean.

Tinker,

This makes me smile. Got to be mean. icon_biggrin.png

And thank you for the information on the rhyme, I know mine is not even close to half rhyme. Sometimes I think if I need to go back to start with meter and rhyme to build up a good foundation of writing poetry.

You're always attentive to my works. Thank you again.

Lake

Tony,

How would you compare Frost and Wright. I know you are a fan of Wright and I'm now reading his book. That's if you don't mind doing it.

Thanks,

Lake