Poetry Magnum Opus

Covid

eclipse

Angel's imitate mannequins in closed shop windows, street signs wear masks. Corona caught me looking out of the bedroom window, the moon my visor. Was my reflection too close to the water on the lake I used to walk past, soil is too close to the thorns of the rose. I dreamt about a flower with glass thorns, voices of corona casualties echoing inside.

Have angels attached the wrong umbilical cord. Spring demands fingerprints as winter walks on its hands, navigate the circuitous design of an architects plans. Attached to an umbilical cord I carried a mountain like a shell, victims of corona were silent as they fell, how thin the oxygen of dreams, how full the screams of grieving mothers. Corona brothers thieves who wear masks, autumn doesn't recognise spring in the stolen mirror they are carrying. From the hospital window in the fire bearing sky I can see corona's cunning speculative eye has allowed me to live.

Hi Barry,  I am truly hoping this imagery is from your imagination because the words 

23 hours ago, eclipse said:

From the hospital window in the fire bearing sky

scared me.  I hope it is not you looking through the hospital window.   

This is probably the most powerful Covid 19 poem, I've read to date.  

Stay safe, stay well,

~~Judi

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Barry, this is a poignant work. It's all good, but I found the following images to be most striking:

• "casualties echoing inside"
• "the screams of grieving mothers"
• "autumn doesn't recognise spring in the stolen mirror they are carrying"

And I just noticed the cool rhyme spring/carrying as I was finishing this reply. 

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Favorite phrases:

how thin the oxygen of dreams

That's something I'd want to write!

I can see corona's cunning speculative eye has allowed me to live

An intriguing notion.

• 5 months later...
David W. Parsley

I agree with Lexi's appreciation for that "thin oxygen of dreams."  Also, "Spring demands fingerprints as Winter walks on its hands," though I recommend completing the personification with gender designation here.  And Tink's right: this kind of packs a wallop.  I would turn the last observation into something more speculative in keeping with the tone and diction at the sentence's beginning.

Nice,
- David