Poetry Magnum Opus

It Takes a Fool

rhymeguy

Guys,

I am not at all comfortable with this work. I like the thought but feel it could be presented better. I have been blocked of late and guess I just needed to throw something out there. Please stimulate me with you thoughts.

rg

It takes a fool

to think

that a difference might be made

with simple words said simply.

It takes a fool

to think

that words arranged by form and structure

might somehow change the world.

It takes a fool

to think

that rhyme and meter might

affect the hearts of men.

It takes a fool

to think

that pith and point might someway

relax a stubborn mind.

It takes a fool

to think

that a broken heart might find

mending in a verse.

It takes a fool

to think

that tears and laughter might be bought

by well placed simple phrases.

It takes a fool

and such a fool

am I.

BRAVO! Hey rhymeguy, of course you are out of your element, the poem doesn't rhyme... icon_biggrin.png I love the structure, the repetition and the HEART! You need to step out of your comfort zone more often.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

On the spot dude! As Tink said:

I love the structure, the repetition and the HEART! You need to step out of your comfort zone more often.

Enjoyed!

A Bravo from Tinker is like a Nobel Prize-Thanks!

Each comment is deeply appreciated. I shall try to sail these uncharted seas again.

Thank you for the encouragement.

rg

RG,

a well written romp- filled with the questing sense of being a poet- flirting with the muse---

Enjoyed!

DC

Aleksandra

Wow - amazing. Rhymeguy I loved this. This is like opening of your gates of poetry :D. How you wrote this poem?! It's wonderful, interesting and wise. Ah what a moving piece.

Thank you for sharing.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

I really thought this little poem was "less than". You guys have made me reconsider. As you know I think and write mostly in rhyme. I have found of late that rhyming has become more thought intensive than when I was younger. I have become less patient and in a greater hurry to say what I want to say. I know that many of you find rhyme to be archaic and simplistic. We must agree to disagree about that.

Your opinions are so very important to me. Each of you offers a different perspective; each brings into this forum and into my life a glimpse of something greater than I am. For those insights I am most appreciative.

rumisong- I am honored that you took the time to read and to comment on my offering.

DC-I often ask myself why your comments are so valuable to me. Perhaps it is because you seem so wise and well versed in all things poetry. Much more sophisticated than I. I am always pleased when you read and comment.

Alex- You are the personification of sweetness and beauty. Your words herein inspire me write more and try harder, to reach out into my creative darkness and find light. You ask "how did I write this". Driving home from work, sad that I had so little to say and so few cared whether I said it or not, angry with myself that I had not become better than I am, realizing that I would continue in my own insipid way to try, believing that someday maybe someone would be better, happier, stronger, less isolated because of something I wrote. Such a fool am I.

Thanks to all,

rg

hi rg

I think the internet allows many more to share and 'influence' - for good or bad. Naturally I find more in poetry as a means of communicating/expressing than other forms. I found your poem expressed what many feel, though personally I'm an optimist.

badge.

Aleksandra

rhymeguy wrote:

Alex- You are the personification of sweetness and beauty. Your words herein inspire me write more and try harder, to reach out into my creative darkness and find light. You ask "how did I write this". Driving home from work, sad that I had so little to say and so few cared whether I said it or not, angry with myself that I had not become better than I am, realizing that I would continue in my own insipid way to try, believing that someday maybe someone would be better, happier, stronger, less isolated because of something I wrote. Such a fool am I.

Thanks to all,

rg

Thanks RG for your nice words. That situation of yours, like the one in which you wrote the poem, it is the most inspirational to create some art. For me works the same. Your concerns are very common, so you are not alone with that. So such a fools we are icon_idea.pngicon_biggrin.png

The depressive mood for me works the best my friend ( not always icon_mad.gif )

I love the poem, I am glad that you wrote this poem and shared here with us.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

Just to add a fun "historical" note in here-

From Wikipedia, The Fool:

The Fool is the spirit in search of experience. He represents the mystical cleverness bereft of reason within us, the childlike ability to tune into the inner workings of the world. The sun shining behind him represents the divine nature of the Fool's wisdom and exuberance. On his back are all the possessions he might need. In his hand there is a flower, showing his appreciation of beauty. He is frequently accompanied by a dog, sometimes seen as his animal desires, sometimes as the call of the "real world", nipping at his heels and distracting him. He is seemingly unconcerned that he is standing on a precipice, apparently about to step off.

In many esoteric systems of interpretation, the Fool is usually interpreted as the protagonist of a story, and the Major Arcana is the path the Fool takes through the great mysteries of life and the main human archetypes. This path is known traditionally in Tarot as the Fool´s Journey

Badger- You are right to point out that there is a much broader audiance available to the poet on the internet. I do wonder about the many who visit and read compared to the few that comment and post. Who are these people? What are they thinking? I am generally optimistic. I just get frustrated from time to time.

Alex- Thank you for sharing my frustrations. It is good not to be alone.

rumi- I enjoyed the historical perspective. The fool sounds a bit like the Flower Child of the 60s. Good company as I recall.

Thanks to all,

rg