Poetry Magnum Opus

Tinker

Ok I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone. I need an example poem demonstrating the spirit of the Spanish poetic genre "Pregunta". It takes more than one poet. So I thought someone out there might like to play with form just for the fun of it and help me write that poem.

Here is the description:

The Pregunta (Spanish for question) was a popular form of "poetic debate" of the Spanish court poets of the 14th and 15th centuries. It is a kind of Spanish version of the French Débat.

In the Pregunta, one poet would pose a question in poetic form, usually on the theme of religion or philosophy, the frame of which including number of lines, meter and rhyme were at the poet's discretion. An answer to the posed question would be given by another or even more than one poet using exactly the same frame or structure as the inquiring poem including the same rhymes, not just rhyme scheme but rhyme words. Occasionaly when a poet could not duplicate the rhymed words identically he would excuse himself.

I would imagine that the evolution of this form would be a simple question answer poem by a single poet. Keeping the spirit of what appears to have been a court competition in the original Pregunta, the poet could write both the question and answer using an identical frame and for the purist, identical rhyme words.

But for the fun of it, who out there would like to pose a question in meter and rhyme? By the way Spanish poetry is usually syllabic not metric. And once a question is presented in nonce form, who would be willing to respond in like quality and kind? There is so much talent here on this Forum, I am dying to see what some of you would come up with.

1. One poet writes a question in a short poem using a specific frame with rhyme.
  2. The frame can be an already established form or one you create.
  3. A second and/or third poet responds with an answer to the question.
  4. The frame of the 2nd and/or 3rd poems must be the same as the question poem.
  5. The answer poems not only carry the same rhyme scheme but if you want to test your skills also carry the same rhyme words.

The first poet has it a little easier in that he/she gets to set the tone, the frame, the rhyme. So who has a little time on their hands to play? Who is up for the challenge?

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

• 11 months later...
Frank E Gibbard

Hello Judi.

I'll have a go of sorts if I get the general picture, a stab anyway of sorts. You might have something to run with, I know your fiber if not philosophy,

mine is very simple Horatio as it were, enjoy yourself. I always do, certainly here at PMO thanks to Tony et al and your good self, thanks Tink.

A simple uncomplex question not to vex
This assembly I propose. Shall any one
of you prove poetic fiber in Tink's annex?
A philosophical "pregunta," can it be fun
Or alcoholical adjunct? Aye there's a rub
I like to play Shakespeare back from pub.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2014 at 8:42 PM, Frank E Gibbard said:

A simple uncomplex question not to vex
this forum I propose, Shall any one
prove poetic fiber in Tink's annex?
Philosophical "pregunta," can it be fun
Or alcoholic adjunct? Aye there's a rub
I like to play Shakespeare back from the pub.

Reply in time may perplex, even vex
a less talented poet. But you are one
who's at home in this playhouse annex.
Questions range from sublime to silly fun.
Glass of Cabernet could add taste to the rub
though this tome would send Shakey to a pub.

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Frank E Gibbard

Well done Tink. Nicely shadowed as one could say is the object of the exercise or game it could be termed. We could carry it on but for now unless someone steps forward I'll pause before revisiting taking it forward. I know you are busy most times. I am being invited elsewhere to join participation again in an effort in line with USA Poetry Month next month, will take some doing as before doing a poem a day. Frank